Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cut/fill surface labels

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
wbrustle
4088 Views, 11 Replies

cut/fill surface labels

I followed the steps I found online to create color-specific surface labels (I assigned red to the cut elev and green for the fill elev.), but when I display them using the spot elevation on grid, I am getting both red and green elevations on same point (they are both fill elev or cut elev.), and why are there two elevations (cut-red and fill green) displaying?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Grimes_MG
in reply to: wbrustle

If you're using the method where the surface label equation is an "IF, THEN" statement then one of the label's text size should be readable (0.08) and the other set at 0.01 (or something really small). The size is based on the surface difference expression so if they are both large and overwriting, look at your equation.

Win7 (x64), EVGA 790i, 8GB RAM, EVGA 8800GT, 250 GB iSSHDD, & RAID 0/1
Message 3 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: Grimes_MG

This method is not really needed as this works well (just been using it today) http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/color-cutfill-surface-labels.html

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 12
wbrustle
in reply to: Grimes_MG

I'm not sure about the "if, then" equation. I am using the Label Style Composer and I added two components, (cut and fill) the cut which was set to sign negative and the fill component in which the sign was set to hide negative value.

Message 5 of 12
wbrustle
in reply to: neilyj666

yes this is the method I used, but still seeing double numbers

Message 6 of 12
neilyj666

Can you post the drawing?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
DaveM
in reply to: neilyj666

I recently had this same issue because i forgot to press the arrow at the top of the composser that commits to the "hide negative value command"

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 8 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: DaveM

This would be the likely culprit - I've looked at my labels and wbrustle seems to be using identical settings

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
troma

If the two components are at precisely the same offset, text height, attachment etc., you should only be able to see one of them because the other will be directly underneath. Then it's just a matter of setting the draw order: I believe the fill (green) component should be on top. When you are in cut, this component disappears (hide negative values) so you can see the cut (red) component.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 12
HansSMS

The most efficient and reliable way still is to simply create an expression being -elevation. Then create two labels of whatever colour, one being for the point elevation and one being for the expression. Set both to not dispaly when negative. The one or the other will display.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 11 of 12
wbrustle
in reply to: troma

I ended up doing what troma suggested and setting both components at same offset etc. and it worked. The green component is now showing on top so thank you for everyones input. I have not experimented with expressions yet, but will give that a try also.

Message 12 of 12
eyadmassad76

Hi,
If the deffrance are 0.00 and want defferant color then wat to do ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report