Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut/Fill's from Cross Sections

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
greenju17
8438 Views, 8 Replies

Cut/Fill's from Cross Sections

I am working on a project for a park in which they are looking for a new access road and a parking lot.  I created the road and sections for it, now im looking to get material cut/fill from the sections.  I am having a tough time getting them to work.  The only thing I can get to work is if i created a volume surface comparing my eg to my fg surface.  That will give me a cut and fill material amount for my new road

What i am trying to get is the volume report for each sections, so i can get the cut/fill for each section.  I have followed the tutorials and tried everything, but nothign seems to work.  I created a surface from my corridor, and for some reason when i go to edit my materials, i cant add my proposed surface from my corridor to make the comparison from, and i think thats my problem.  Everytime i go to create my volume report, i get all 0's.

can anyone please point me in the right directions or if there aer some better step by step directions on to complete this task, that would be great

Thanks for any help!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: greenju17

In order to get volumes for cut and fill on your x-sections, you first have to build a corridor surface.  Add the top or datum as a link.  Then compute materials from the Analyze tab.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 9
odoshi

The proposed surface you extracted from the corridor will not show up as available in a material list until you add it as a samples source under your sample lines.

If you cut your sections first, then extract a road surface, you have to go back and add it as a sampled source, then you can use it in your material list.

After that, look into plotting the section volumes next to the section views, or make a total volume table off to the side.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 4 of 9
Jay_B

Be sure to create a datum surface of the corridor first, prior to creating the material list.

When creating the Materials list you'll want to set your EG surface & Datum surface to calculate the raw cut/fill section volumes..

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 9
greenju17

Thanks for all the help.... I created a volume tin surface to compare the 2 surfaces (existing ground and corridor surface), and I get the total cut volume ( I surveyed the bottom of a lake for dreging, so its all cut). But when I do a report per station and get a total number of cu yards of cut, it differs from the volume surface?? any suggestions?
Message 6 of 9
blt
Advocate

The volume from surface comparison and volume from end areas or cross section will always be slightly different, because they are calculated differently.  But you do have to look at that difference and see if it is acceptable.  This is the reason that we write specifications that say we pay on the End Area method.

Bryan Thorp, PLS
Civil 3D 2017 SP1
Dell OptiPlex 990 Workstation
Intel I7
16 Gig of RAM
Message 7 of 9
Hammer.john.j

It should differ from the volume surface because the volume surface is sampling at nearly infinite levels of accuracy. The average end area method, which computes at cross sections is only as accurate as your section frequency because everything inbetween the sections is averaged out. Unfortunately, the volume surface is the right one... if the plans have a high detail you'll get the volume surface. then again, there are a lot of factors such as fluff factors, compaction and other things that'll make your EW and the actual EW off.... unless of course you spend a lot of time calculating all of that.
John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 8 of 9
jmayo-EE

Just note the Section View Tables can be had without a corridor. Two surfaces and a quantity takeoff (Materials List tab of sample line GROUP properties dialog) should be the min data you need. After you have this you should just be able to tell C3D to create the Section View Tables when you create the cross sections.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Shubz26

I'm having the same issue, anyone with a solution to this?

Civil 3D 2020
Intel Xeon CPU W3550 @ 3.07GHz
Nvidia Quadro 2000
25GB RAM
Windows 7 Enterprise 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report