Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut/fill quantities from google earth surface

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
awill296
2993 Views, 4 Replies

Cut/fill quantities from google earth surface

I am using Civil 3D 2011 for my job. I am trying to put together preliminary estimates and need earthwork qunatities. I have no issue importing a google earth surface. I import the surface and create a boundary. How do I calculate cut/fill quantities? I tried creating a finished ground surface then making a tin volume surface to compare the two. However, I do not know how to create a fnished ground surface. I have also tried grading in civil 3d. Cannot get anyting to work. Any help would be much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sboon
in reply to: awill296

First of all - welcome to the board.

We're going to need a lot more information to answer this question.  First of all what is it that you're trying to design?  What sort of design information do you already have - points, lines, alignment, profile or what?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 5
awill296
in reply to: sboon

Okay. Let me be a little more specific. I am trying to calculate earthwork quantities for a site where a commercial building and parking lot will go. As mentioned early, this is a preliminary estimate. All i have to go off of is google earth. There are no survey points. I am just trying to figure out how much cut and fill i am going to need to make a flat surface. The only thing I have been able to do so far is import the surface and create a boundary where the site wil be. Stuck after that. 

Message 4 of 5
sboon
in reply to: awill296

OK that's a start.  For a really basic flat surface you can start with a polyline outline of your site at the design elevation.  Once you have that I suggest that you start looking at the help information for surfaces here.  You will be able to use the polyline as part of the surface data and then calculate volumes to the Google Earth surface that you already have.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 5
awill296
in reply to: sboon

Okay. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report