Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut and Fill

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
shahjamil
2887 Views, 7 Replies

Cut and Fill

Dear All,

I am new to AutoCAD Civil 3D. We have surveyed the existing road alignment by leveling (at
an interval of 25m with an offset of 25m to both side of the road) to create
the NSL. Later on after some earthwork we surveyed the alignment again to
obtain the new levels at an interval of 25 meter. Now I want to draw cross
sections of the NSL and modified surface and calculate cut and fill. Is it
possible in AutoCAD Civil 3D? a step by step tutorial will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jamil Shah

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
josephbouza5497
in reply to: shahjamil

Hi Jamil, this is exactly what c3d does. you will need to create two surface; OG and post grading FG, create sample lines along your baseline stationing, create section, compute material, add a table of volumes.

A lot to put in a post.

you will need to do the OOTB tutorials for:

* alignments

* surfaces

* sections

* volumes

Message 3 of 8
shahjamil

Great! but i have data in the form of offset elevation for both the OG and FG at an interval of 25m having an offset of 25m of both side of the roads. To make it more clear the formate of the data is:

Section 12+00

offset              Elevation

-25                    300

-20                    310

-15                     311

-10                    312

0                       300

5                       311

and so on

So will i be able to compute earth work quantities from this data?

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
GZE
Advocate

If you have LDD youcan use  "Sample existing ground from file" function under cross section menu, Otherwise you can use this workaround in civil 3d; create offset alignments at -25,-20...,-5 and 0, +5,.....+20,+25...+50. Then extract N,E coordinates for your station interval for each alignment i.e. 0+000, 0+025.....0+100. so that for each station in every alignment you have Sta, N, E eg (0+000, 9200588,345555) then using excel paste your field elevations on the next column to have Sta, N,E,Z and save it as point file then generate surface and sections in civil 3d.

I have a lisp that can create sections directly but it works with autocad 2000 only

Humphrey GZE
Civil 3D 2013 64bit SP1
Elitebook 8540w
Core i7 2.8GHz, 8Gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX880
160Gb SSD
Message 5 of 8
shahjamil
in reply to: GZE

Thanks for the reply. Its a good workaround but it can be done by importing the file having station offset elevation, create the surface and draw sample lines as well and cross sections can be created. But my problem is that i want to draw the cross sections of the OG and FG and then calculate the earthwork quantities. Further help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 6 of 8
wfberry

What happened to Joe?  He is the one that said how easy this is.

<G.>

Here is what I think.  You need a finish grade profile to make cross sections, so this is somewhat backwards, you will need to make a finish grade profile from your final grade surface information.  Then do the sections, etc.

(At least I think this is correct.)

Bill

Message 7 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: wfberry

Will this work??

Creates points along an alignment by importing points from an ASCII (text) file that contains station, offset, and elevation information.

The file you import can contain the station, offset, elevation, and description of each point. The elevation can be expressed as either a single value (elevation) or a rod reading with instrument height (rod, hi).

ASCII (text) files that use the following layouts (formats) can be imported:

• Station, Offset
  • Station, Offset, Elevation
  • Station, Offset, Rod, Hi
  • Station, Offset, Description
  • Station, Offset, Elevation, Description
  • Station, Offset, Rod, Hi, Description

Use commas or spaces as delimiters (separators) in the file. Include one or more comment lines in the file by putting a semi-colon or a pound sign (#) in the first column of a comment line.

The following is an example of data in an ASCII (text) file that is formatted using the Station, Offset, Elevation format:

The first line in this example is a comment line that is ignored when the points are imported. Each of the remaining lines contains the station, offset, and elevation for a point. The file is delimited by spaces.

#station, offset, elevation: subdivision 1
0 20.0 112.00
10 23.5 114.64
20 22.5 116.56
30 23.0 116.32
40 22.0 115.83

Before you import the file, you are prompted to describe the format of the ASCII (text) file. You can also be prompted to specify invalid indicator values for station/offsets, elevations, and rod heights.

Point settings, styles, layers, point groups, and description keys can all affect how a point is created or how it is displayed in the drawing.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: wfberry

Hello Bill, It does look easy <G>.

Seems like the hard part is the data source and a little massaging in excel and the section data should be importable.. Not in front of c3d but my suggested list of tutorials still stands <G>

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report