Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut and Fill Visual

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
DrWileFTracer
7151 Views, 8 Replies

Cut and Fill Visual

I have a drawing prepared in Civil 3D 2013 with a number of surfaces representing both the existing and proposed grade of a site. I have the cut and fill quantities but now I am required to illustrate on my drawing where the areas of cut and areas of fill are by showing boundary lines or shaded areas, etc. Is there a way Civil 3D can easily generate these areas in order to visually show the locations of cut and of fill?

Thanks very much

Wil

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
wfberry
in reply to: DrWileFTracer

I think the easiest way is to do a Volume Tin between the two surfaces.  Looking at the contour lines showing - & + for cut and fills, your "0" contour line will be where it goes from cut to fill.  Extract this line from the contours.

That's about it.

Bill

Message 3 of 9
troma

Create a Volume surface (normally TIN volume) using your existing & proposed surfaces.

Base surface = existing

Comparison surface = proposed.

Apply a style to the volume surface per requirements.  If you only want to see the boundary between cut and fill, that will be the zero contour.  We like to see contours in 0.50m intervals, to show how much cut & fill there is in all areas of the site.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 9

That works. Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
troma

You're welcome!

I think Bill deserves a solution too!  He got there ahead of me with the same thought.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 9

Thanks Bill. That did the trick.

Message 7 of 9
HansSMS

What makes a lot of sense to some people is a grid of cut/fill height labels on the drawing as well. You can make the cut labels one colour and the fill labels another.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 8 of 9
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: HansSMS

If you are just looking for where you go from cut to fill you can use the command "Minimum Distance Between Surfaces" and generate the polylines that way.

Cheers,

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 9

That's exactly what I was looking for - I wanted the software to generate the lines. The lines are not perfect (they get somewhat messed up in some areas) but after a bit of tweaking they are fine.

Thanks very much

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report