Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cut and fill report

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Joyfer
773 Views, 8 Replies

cut and fill report

Does any one know of any literature that could help me with making my cut and fill reports more accurate?

The main question I have is when should I delete lines in my surface, so if there is literature on how to manipulate surfaces created from survey data that would be perfect.

Thanks again everyone,

Joy

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: Joyfer

not sure exactly what you mean by delete lines but the main reason for deleting lines is to ensure that the TIN forms correctly in certain areas of the model especially at the external boundary. help has much info on this

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 9
Joyfer
in reply to: neilyj666

Well I'm given survey data points. All I know to do with it is to make a surface and delete the triangle lines around the outer edge that go further beyond the points (if there is a curved line the lines will extend to the peaks of the curves, that's what I'm talking about). Also there seems to be clusters of points and I feel like I sould delete triangle lines around the boundaries of the clusters too but I definately would like to know how other people do it.

Let me know if that makes since.

Message 4 of 9
Joyfer

But I am having more issues than that, I am getting 1,000 cubic yards cut and the other contractors get 3,000 cubic yards. That's why I was wondering if there was some document that could walk me through the process of making monthly cut and fill reports.

Message 5 of 9
neilyj666

how are you doing the monthly calculations at the moment.?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 9
Joyfer
in reply to: neilyj666

I was given a base ground topo drawing and they gave me four sets of monthly topo (Sept. - Dec.). I pasted Sept - Nov. surfaces to the base ground surface. Then used that as a comparision surface and the Dec. topo as the base surface in a tin volume surface in order to make a report for December. 

I just came up with that method by watching youtube tutorials, and would love to know the way profesionals do it.

I appreciate the help.

Message 7 of 9
Jay_B

There is a AU class on the concept your dealing with which focuses on keeping your model updated throughout construction. I attended the class and it can be found at:
http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=10712
Class name: Surveying: Cleaning Your Dirt Data
If you haven't created an AU account you'll need to do that before you can watch the class.
There are also course materials available.

Jay
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 8 of 9
Joyfer
in reply to: Jay_B

Thank you Jay, I am checking that out now.

Message 9 of 9
brianchapmandesign

Sounds like you might be missing breaklines. I wouldn't recommend modifying the surface in any way in a conditions such as this, except to stay within the limits of your survey (as you noted cad tends to connect things it shouldnt). The most accurate way to build a surface is with points and breaklines connecting those points. Breaklines are the "hinges" in the ground... such as the top of a ditch, bottom of a ditch, bottom of a stockpile, etc.  If your surverors didn't shoot those so you can develop those breaklines it will be difficult to complete a very accurate surface.

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report