Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Tool Palettes Loading Slowly

64 REPLIES 64
Message 1 of 65
Anonymous
5260 Views, 64 Replies

Custom Tool Palettes Loading Slowly

This has been an issue for a few versions now. I've made some custom tool palettes that are on the network. I just have them pathed in the options, and set up as a group for users to access. Civil 3D is real sluggish when it comes to using these, and switching between the tabs, and trying to load them up. But Vanilla AutoCAD loads them and switches between tabs no problem. Any ideas why the difference? Is there a variable specific to C3D that needs to change to make it work more like it does in Vanilla AutoCAD?
64 REPLIES 64
Message 61 of 65
kerri
in reply to: Anonymous

I had the same issue where selecting the custom Tool Palettes after importing them were running really slow about 2 minutes to load each one.

We are using C3D 2016, I have my custom company's exported Tool Palettes Files (.XTP) and AutoCAD drawing files for each tool palette containing everything I put on that particular Tool Palette such as blocks, hatching, multileaders, etc. located here:

L:\CADD Std\Tool Palettes\_Share Palettes

this is where I update all the AutoCAD drawings when I have something to add to that Tool Palette.

To make the Tool Palettes run faster, I changed the users Options for Tool Palettes File Locations to:

C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\C3D 2016\enu\Support\ToolPalette\Palettes

The default options tool palette file locations only goes to the ToolPalette folder in blue above.

I added the Palettes folder at the end of this string - -----   this is where the .ATC files are for each user.

Then I imported the custom tool palettes from the L:\CADD Std\Tool Palettes\_Share Palettes, and now it runs fast switching to the different tool palettes.

Civil 3D 2016 SP2

Message 62 of 65
agoroy33

I've  been looking for solutions on this issues & this 3DCONFIG fix the problem.

Message 63 of 65
agoroy33

"We ran into this problem with very decent machines and local custom palettes.  To ensure it was not a graphics issue, we went into 3DCONFIG.  We toggled hardware accel. off, ok'ed out of 3DCONFIG, went back in and turned Hardware Accel back on.  This instantly made a differnce and the palettes are completely responsive at this point."

I found the solutions above works with my issues with custom tool palettes switching lags. 

Message 64 of 65
krimson55
in reply to: agoroy33

While this is an old topic, maybe this will help someone. As others have said, the fix for making the tool palette load faster was to add ToolPallette\Palettes folder to the top of the list in the Tool Palettes File Location tree. Just a note about that, don't do this on a fresh install until after the tool palettes have been loaded. I thought since I was going to do it anyway on a fresh install, I would just do it while I was doing some of the other stuff we always do, but it doesn't work until after you install your Tool Palettes. I chased that around for a while, because if you do it before, it doesn't save the Tool Palettes after you close Autocad. At least in my experience.

As for the blocks loading slowly, come to find out, is an Autocad issue, always has been. There where other issues as well, like drawings taking forever to open, saving and stuff. There is a hotfix for this, and it made this 1,000 times better. Our whole office was having this issue, 2013 and 2016. Finally fed up, we got with our Autocad rep, and he pointed this out, said try this. It didn't work on the 2013's, but did on the 2016's. We are all on 2016 now anyways, but there was supposed to be a fix for 2013. Since it didn't work, they said to try it on a fresh install, which we never tried. It is a .dbx file, one simple file replacement. Works like a champ.

Message 65 of 65
C_William_Lee
in reply to: prakowitz

@prakowitz

I tried this and it worked great for me.  It's such a simple solution.  No more waiting for tool pallets.  Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report