Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom SA with Subassembly Composer - Tieing two roadways together with ditch

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
LeafRiders
637 Views, 4 Replies

Custom SA with Subassembly Composer - Tieing two roadways together with ditch

Hi All,

Just wondered if someone with experience with Subassembly Composer or even advanced theory using Generic links and MarkPoint stock SAs. I need to be able to have a ditch almost fill inbetwen two slopes. I want to be able to specific both side slope values and have a ditch with a specified width define the elevation of the bottom of the ditch or provide a ditch profile and have the ditch widths vary.

Within Subassembly Composer I'm looking at using a couple different things like Auxiliary points and links, maybe an Auxiliary Intersection as well. Either way I look at it logistically I can't get this to solve, and maybe it's this flowchart concept that has my number, but if someone could enlighten me on approach and how to get this done that would be great. 

The keys are I'd like to specify the two values for each half of my ditch width (could be different), and also be able to target a profile for the ditch bottom elevation if needed and have my widths varies. Other values I'm speficying are the ditch bottom LT and RT slopes, as well as the LT and RT side slopes.

The other 2 values I'd like to ensure I can maintain are the min depth values from the origin and from the far left service road target. Where within the flowchart do those min. depth requirements need to take place is beyond me.

Huge thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
fcernst
in reply to: LeafRiders

I want to be able to specific both side slope values and have a ditch with a specified width define the elevation of the bottom of the ditch

The LinkSlopesBetweenPoints generic subassembly handles this request.

...or provide a ditch profile and have the ditch widths vary.

You can do this with the generic subassemblies, specifically the LinkToMarkedPoint subassembly enabling the ditch basin width to vary as a function of 3 variables: ditch basin profile, ditch foreslopes and ditch basin slopes.

To address the min depth requirements from the origin and offset target, I started off with a LinkSlopeAndVerticalDeflection subassembly emanating from each side at the required min depths (set to 1' each here) and slopes set to the desired foreslopes.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 5

I do the math using Define Variables and then temporary points to get the information to use in the Define Variables. The variables are then used for the sideslopes and the widths.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 4 of 5
fcernst
in reply to: LeafRiders

Another way to do this is create a control subassembly in SAC that does your math and then creates Output Parameters that can be passed to the stock subassemblies in C3D model space. This SAC control subassembly doesn't create any entities itself other than in Layout.

Then you don't have to be bothered creating all the points, links and closing shapes in SAC.

*It would be more efficient if we had Expression Box with the basic API function capability like SAC, within the stock subassembly properties panorama in the model space environment, to do the math directly on the stock subassembly parameters.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 5
LeafRiders
in reply to: fcernst

These are some great approaches. I apologize for the delayed response, got pulled away from this issue for awhile. I was hoping it would go away on it's own but it didn't. I will try out your suggestions and let you know if I come up with a combination of things or prefer one or the other. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report