Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Curb Subassembly

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2068 Views, 11 Replies

Custom Curb Subassembly

Hi Folks,

To this point, I've only used the off-the-shelf subassemblies provided out of the box by AutoCAD. I now have need to create something custom in order to appropriately model a rolled-curb. See image below:Cap_002.jpg

I've tried to understand how to create my own subassembly, but to no avail. It appears very complicated. But, perhaps it is not and that is why I'm reaching out you folks. I'm using Civil 3D 2011. I think there was an add-on provided in the intervening years which allows persons that are not professional computer developers to create their own subassemblies. Sadly, I do not have this add-on program. So, how do I go about creating a subassembly for a rolled curb?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
doni49
in reply to: Anonymous

Daryl,

Have a look at this post.  In it, I've uploaded a detailed explanation of SAC that's geared toward someone who's never worked with SAC.

EDIT:  forgot to include the link.  Duh!

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/sub-assembly-composer-getting-started/m-p/530...

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

Don, thanks for the reply. I don't appear to have SAC. How can I be certain of that?
Message 4 of 12
doni49

Daryl,

I just re-read your post and noticed that you said you're using C3D 2011.  You may be in luck.  2011 was the first version for which SAC was released -- but it required a separate (free) download.  The only question is whether or not it's still available for download.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 12
doni49

Do you understand VB programming?  If you aren't able to get access to SAC, then you may be relegated to coding the custom SA by hand.

From what I understand @fcernst has a great deal of experience with that.  Hopefully he'll get a chance to chime in and provide some info.  I've worked with vb in the past, but have no idea how to apply that knowledge to this task.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 12
Civil3DReminders_com

Why not create a subassembly from a polyline? The command is CreateSubFromPline and allows you to assign points and shapes to it. Seems like this would be the easiest way to get the task done. 

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Don,

Nope, I'm not a programmer. I'll need another solution.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Don,

I've poked around, but have not been able to find a download for SAC. If anyone has more information on availability, that would be great to learn.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Civil3DReminders_com

Creating this with a polyline sure sounds simple. I attempted that once, some months ago, and had difficulty with having it behave as expected when attached to an assembly. Perhaps I'm overlooking something? Is there a plain English resource that can walk me through this process?
Message 10 of 12
andrewpuller3811

@Anonymous wrote:
Don,

I've poked around, but have not been able to find a download for SAC. If anyone has more information on availability, that would be great to learn.

The 2011 Subassembly Composer was supplied as a subscription only download.

If you are on subscription, you can still get it from the subscription site.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 11 of 12
mjarour

Hi 

just wondering did you manage to get this subassembly modeled ad added to your templates?  do you mind sharing the c3d file so I can import this subassembly? 

Message 12 of 12
christopher
in reply to: mjarour

There are some SAC packets that come with Civil 3D that show examples of rolled curbs: 

https://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-93BEB425-E3CD-4C24-BA7A-973DE5E61000
https://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-3189928B-0D70-48D7-B337-D58121F0C865

You can find them in this folder: 
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2020\enu\Subassemblies

Replace 2020 with the year of Civil 3D you are using.

Here are the steps to use to import the pkt file: 
https://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-69C19696-8BAF-4A62-B29B-A806FAF616CA

While I am providing a link to a subassembly with "Caltrans" in its name, it was not created by Caltrans. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report