Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved Breaklines

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gene.daspit
1617 Views, 5 Replies

Curved Breaklines

I have not been able to find out how to create curved 3D Polylines for creating curved breaklines as I was able to do using the "Create 3D Polylines by Elevation" in Land Development. II have tried an number of things and have not been successful. At present, as a work around, I am creating them in Land Development, then copying them into Civil 3D. I don't feel doing this should be a permanent solution.

Either I am missing something or it a feature that should be added to Civil 3D.

Gene Daspit
Thomas, Dean & Hoskins, Inc.

Civil 3D 2005 SP2
Windows XP SP2
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: gene.daspit

Hi Gene,

You can draw a 2d polyline including the arcs and define it as a Feature Line using the Grading feature (Click Grading > Create Feature Line). Then use the Elevation Editor (Click Grading > Elevation Editor) to assign elevations to the vertices which you can do by either vertex elevation or editing the grade/slope between the vertices. You can then define your surface breaklines from the grading feature lines.

Jonathan Burgoyne
Autodesk Technical Publications.
Message 3 of 6
gene.daspit

Jonathan

Thanks for the help. I had made a feature line and edited the elevations but didn't try to select the feature line to make a breakline.

Gene
Message 4 of 6
Osnappy

Are you saying that you can't draw a 3d polyline with the curve option anymore? Why not? I use this all the time in LDD 2004. That is really disappointing.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I am just upgrading from AD field survey to C3D and I can say I am somewhat disappointed in some of the basic features like not being able to draw a 3d polyline...atleast I have not found any command that will draw it in C3d/LD. Is the only way to draw lines from # point to # point using the point range command?? If that is true..that is a huge leap DOWN from Field Survey....and I thought FS was crappy.

So basically if you want to draw a 3d lines in 2006 LD or C3d...you have to draw a 2d line then go change it to 3d? Or if you use Terrain Manager...assign it a breakline and redraw the line again.....isn't this kinda time consumming having to draw everything twice?
what if you draw a 2D polyline....then you change it in the grading command....does it change the line according to the elevation at the points you drew then 2D line from...or is it just a general elevation you assign??
Message 6 of 6
Osnappy

This sounds much slower than drawing 3d polylines from point node to node at actual elevation. This is not a time saver. It works very well in LDD 2004. How is this a step up?

Do you have add vertices now after you draw your 2d poly. Please bring back the 3d polyline with options. I use this command much more than any you have!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report