Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursor Pauses over points

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
_Hathaway
2032 Views, 16 Replies

Cursor Pauses over points

Civil 3d 2010

Our cursors are pausing for about 2-3 seconds when mousinging over a point, it seems like it is struggling with the rollovertip tooltip information.  It doesn't happen on other objects, just points.  If we turn rollover tooltips off there is no pause at all. But we really like the rollover tooltips and it would be a shame to have to disable a feature to be able to move around a drawing efficiently.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: _Hathaway

Did you try turning off ToolTips for the Points? Settings tab of Prospector, go to the Feature Settings dialog for Points. In the General section there is a field for this that you can turn off. See attached.

John 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
_Hathaway
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks, but I don't want to turn them off as they seem to be very useful (with the exception of the pausing).  I was curious if there was a work around that didn't involve turning them off.  Kind of counter productive to introduce a 'new' feature that causes such issues.

Could if just be me and my CPU? Do others experience this?

Message 4 of 17
jmayo-EE

It's not just you or just your CPU.

John

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
Sinc

Just out of curiosity, what sort of system are you running on?

On a 2.66GHz Core i7 920 (the original i7-920), I don't have a noticeable delay when mousing over Cogo Points with Rollover Tooltips turned on.  I only have a noticeable delay when selecting Cogo Points while the Properties palette is open.

But then I've also never been able to get the C3D tooltips to work for Cogo Points in 2010.  I have tooltips turned on in Ambient Properties and elsewhere, and if I select the Cogo Points and check their Properties, the value for "Show Tooltips" is set to "yes".  But C3D tooltips still do not work for Cogo Points.  The Rollover Tooltips work for Cogo Points, but not the C3D tooltips we used to use prior to C3D 2010.  And I believe when I checked in C3D 2011, I still saw the same problem (although I don't have C3D 2011 available at the moment to check again).

Personally, I don't really like the Rollover Tooltips - things like Images and hatches and XREFs in the background will cause the Rollover Tooltip to clobber the C3D tooltips, and I generally find it much more useful to see the C3D tooltips (which show things like Sta/Off to nearby Alignments, elevations of Surfaces at the cursor location, etc.)  But if I turn off Rollover Tooltips, I can't see tooltips for Cogo Points.  It's been a very frustrating aspect of C3D 2010.

Sinc
Message 6 of 17
randcdavidson

Let me Guess! You downloaded and installed Raster Design 2011?

Message 7 of 17
rdlongbow

You might want to try disabling the "Display hyperlink curso, tooltip and shortcut menu" option in the User Preferences Tab of Options if you don't use hyperlinks. Don't know if it will help, but I don't think it will hurt either.

Message 8 of 17
Cadguru42

I have also been having this problem in Civil 3D 2011.  I have followed the different methods mentioned in the previous posts, but none of them work.  No matter what, the cursor pauses for 2-4 seconds whenever it's moving over a cogo point.  Turning off tooltips doesn't work.  Not that it mattered much since Civil 3D hasn't shown tooltips for cogo points in a few versions anyway.  It doesn't matter if hardware acceleration is on or off.  

I did some testing and found out that it happens with the default NCS template and not with the acad.dwt template.  Not sure what is causing it, but I'm assuming it's got something to do with the default point label style in the NCS template.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 9 of 17
ctbailey

I too get a "pause" when mousing over points if I have the ACAD "properties" box up and open.

_______
Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS, PSM
Bailey Associates
www.bailey-associates.com
Message 10 of 17
Cadguru42
in reply to: ctbailey

I can have all the windows closed, prospector, settings, survey, properties, layers, etc., and the cursor still pauses for 2-4 seconds when mousing over a cogo point.  It's a big pain when you have a drawing with 800+ cogo points in it to just pan around when the cursor and ACAD basically pause for 2-4 seconds repeatedly.  

I'm sure Autodesk will fix it when Civil 3D 2020 comes out.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 11 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Cadguru42

I have the issue only when Raster Design is loaded. If I unload the RD cui in RD or run C3D w/o RD I do not have the issue. The other option I have is to freeze the point layers or turn off thier display.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 17
kmontoya

could you walk me through the steps to turn off raster design cui? I previously had it installed and station tracker wouldn't stop working.

thank you,

Kris Montoya
Engineer Tech (CAD)
Dell Precision T1500
Intel Core i7 860 CPU @ 2.8GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 580
Windows 7 64 Bit
Civil 3D 2012
Message 13 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: kmontoya

For the 2011 release, type CUI at the command line. Look in the tree to the right for your Partial CCustomization Files. Expand the tree to find the AUTOCADRASTERDESIGN cui file. Select it and right click. Select Unload AECCO.cuix.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
stacy.dunn

I have found that if there are more than 10 point styles in the drawing, you will get the cursor pause.  The lag time increases dramatically with 75-100 point styles.

Stacy Dunn
Message 15 of 17
gleep
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Hello all. This curvor-pause-over-survey-points drove me about MAD until I spent a little time digging around and really went after a solution. For anyone else looking for the solution here it is (tip of the hat to Chad Studer at the  CAD GURU😞

Go into your CUI, select Rollover Tooltips, and disable ALL cogo points rollovers. (The stuttering crosshair hover will continue if you merely disable point rollovers from the settings tab.) Must disable from your interface.

Worked for me.

Message 16 of 17
randcdavidson
in reply to: gleep
Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

I have found that if your point label style has italicised fonts, it will slow down your cursor. My existing surface cogo points had italicised descriptions and elevations.  After freezing the layer they were on, everything worked better.  Thaw the layer, my cursor would pause, reverse windowing would pause, and so on.  After turning off the italics for the point style, smooth sailing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report