Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CUI files edit - cannot- do not understand

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
elaine3051
1493 Views, 4 Replies

CUI files edit - cannot- do not understand

I am so tired of workarounds to get the commands that I need. I have no idea why Autodesk cannot make a tutorial for editing CUI files. I spend hours every week trying to find menus, ribbons, etc to be able to work. I type most of my commands. I have included a png file of my screen. My Civil 3D is my current workspace. As you can see the menus showing as available are not the menus at the top of my screen. When I first started learning to use the ribbon if I selected an object the ribbon would immediately change and access commands that pertained to the object. This no longer happens. I need an idiots tutorial for setting up a CUI file. I am beyone frustrated. IT just removed Windows 8 and reinstalled 7 on my computer. This is Civil 3D 2011, This is a clean install and I have done nothing so far. Can anyone help me wade thru this? Can anyone explain why the menus at the top of my screen are not reflected in the list in the dialog box. Can anyone explain toolbased/taskbased CUI and how and when they load them and use them.?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: elaine3051

The Ribbon will, or will not, switch it's contextual state depending on how the Sysvars PICKFIRST and RIBBONCONTEXTSELECT are set. The first must be set to 1, the second is typically also set to 1.

The 'menus' you see at the top of your screen are the Ribbon Tab names, not the Menus yo show in the CUI. Those menus refer to the old, pre-ribbon, drop down menus. You can show them, if desired, by setting the Sysvar MENUBAR to 1. Most of us who use the ribbon do not need or want that menubar showing.

You really don't need to be editing the CUI, especially if you aren't sure what you really want out of it.  I know many users who have never used the CUI and are still quite productive.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 5
elaine3051

Thers a difference between being just

productive and squeezing the best options out of the software. Anytime I am slowed down by the program its my responsibility to figure out if there is any way I can be more efficent. Thank You for the info on the settings. I still want to create my own workspace with access to commands that are easily and quickly located. I am tired of loading and unloading menus according to the work I am doing. There are nemus that I have no use for,such as Parcels, and I want to totally eliminate. I do not want to change the original CUI's because someone else may need to work at my computer and may use that original setup.

Message 4 of 5
tcorey

Elaine, definitely having your own workspaces laid out for your workflow can help you work more efficiently. If you can accept the content of the existing ribbon tabs, but only want to turn on and off sets of ribbons tabs, this can be accomplished with little effort:

Inside the CUI:

1. Create a new workspace

2. Press the button Modify Workspace

3. On the left side of the screen, Expand Ribbon then Tabs. Click to turn on those tabs you want displayed in your new workspace.

4. Look at the bottom of the section and find Partial Customization Files. Look through these for their Ribbon Tabs and turn on any of these as needed.

5. Press Done, then Apply then OK (or just OK.)

If you are trying to create your own Ribbon tabs with tools pulled from various places, while not difficult, this can be time-consuming. It's up to you to decide whether you will get a return on the time invested in going to this depth, especially for a single user.

If other users login to your machine under a different login name, you don't have to worry about messing them up with your changes, if you used the default directories recommended by the installation. If you have your user support in a shared location, that's a different story.

Editing the CUI can be fun but it can be tedious as well. You can go so far as to make your own context sensitive ribbons for particular objects. Picking a polyline and having Create Featureline from Object, layer info, Pedit, etc. all on a special ribbon tab is pretty cool.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 5
Joe-Bouza

Clear the check boxes of anything you don't want (although I don't recommend doing it)

What are these commands you cannot find?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report