Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowned lane at intersections

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
randyspear6624
535 Views, 7 Replies

Crowned lane at intersections

I have 1 problem and 1 ongoing complaint.

problem

It's almost impossible to use the crowned lane  subassembly in the intersection wizard. It can be done manually but it's time consuming, too dependant upon the appropriate user input and defeats the purpose of using the wizard almost entirely. Would you agree?

complaint

The reason I use the crowned lane is so I can have an independant subgrade (as you will notice this a big issue with most canadian users for the last couple years). The subassembly still isn't 100% as the base layer is actually the independant layer but in TAC/MTO standards, the base layer typically follows the pavement structure and the subgrade is independant. Another oversight is that you can't have a subassembly with independant subgrade and a superelevation parameter. I understand there were additional subassemblies available through subscription center in previous versions but one would think that by 2012 they would have made their way into the load.

I am pro-C3D but this is why highway designers will always opt to use inroads.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sboon
in reply to: randyspear6624

The reason I use the crowned lane is so I can have an independant subgrade (as you will notice this a big issue with most canadian users for the last couple years). The subassembly still isn't 100% as the base layer is actually the independant layer but in TAC/MTO standards, the base layer typically follows the pavement structure and the subgrade is independant. Another oversight is that you can't have a subassembly with independant subgrade and a superelevation parameter. I understand there were additional subassemblies available through subscription center in previous versions but one would think that by 2012 they would have made their way into the load.

You need to look at the paved shoulder subs - several of them have the ability to grade the subgrade separately from the top layers.  I have been using them for several years now instead of the lane subs for situations like the ones you're describing.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 8
mathewkol

Regarding the TAC tables, apparently they CAN be used in 2011 and 2012.  Download them if you can still find them and do this:

If you try to install them with the country kit, nothing happens. But if you add the files directly to the Civil 3D 2011 or 2012 install location, you can use them.  You need the XML files within the EXE file.

Save them in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2011 <or C3D 2012>\enu\Data\Corridor Design Standards\Metric.

They will then be available to apply to an alignment and/or design profile.

I have not tried it yet, but I've been told that this works.  I have the XML files if you want them and can't get them out of that EXE.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 8
sboon
in reply to: mathewkol

If you can attach them here Matt then they'll be available for those who search the DG for this topic.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 8
mathewkol
in reply to: sboon

True

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 8
randyspear6624
in reply to: sboon

yeah, i've used the shoulder subs before but that only works in certain scenarios.

Message 7 of 8
randyspear6624
in reply to: mathewkol

the superelevation tables aren't an issue for me. We copied and modified the AASHTO xml file back in 2008 version to suit the MTO's geometric design manual. It's not a difficult task.

Message 8 of 8
davehi

If your interested we have created a number of custom assemblies and subassemblies(lanes, shoulders, subdrains, etc) that deal specifically with the 3% subgrade issue and also superelevation built in.

We also have the Civil3d 2012 Kit for Ontario complete with the TAC tables, MTO description keys, figure libraries &point styles as well as the CPS and OPSS specs included in the QTO section.

Let me know if your interested in taking a look at them.

dhill AT solidcad DOT ca

Dave Hill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report