Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Sections Won't Rerun

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
wings1080
518 Views, 12 Replies

Cross Sections Won't Rerun

Hi, trial by fire here, we are trying to produce cross sections and are crash course learning it this week, we have a submittal that needs to be done today and hitting roadblock after roadblock, can anyone please help with the following issue:

we created an alignment, produced sample lines, went through the create multiple views procedure, at the beginning we were able to click on the surface we want cut of a topographic survey, ran the cross sections, looked at them, decided we need to change some scaling etc.. so deleted them and went to rerun ... AND NOW ... the dialog box where you select the surface you want cut is nowhere to be found and when we run sections the surface is not shown, any ideas???

thanks,

W

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
DaveM
in reply to: wings1080

When you delete sections or profiles, you can not do this in modelspace, or you will delete the actual profile and sections from the drawing. If you want to delete it in model space, only select the section view and press delete. i think you will have to repair what you did. The easiest fix that i know is to delete your samplelines and try again, but there are people much smarter than me on here.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 3 of 13
DaveM
in reply to: DaveM

Sorry a little additional information

The line inside of the section view representing the existing ground is considered a seperate entity than the grid by civil 3d. The grid surronding the line is considered to be a section view, and the line itself is considered a section.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 4 of 13
wings1080

Dave, that helps alot, I'll just redo my work and run the sections in paper space, I'll be back to post follow up questions if this doesn't work, thanks ...

Message 5 of 13
DaveM

The sections have to be created in model space. What i ment by dont delete them in modelspace is that the way i delete them is through the prospector.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 6 of 13
DaveM

Note the cross sections are dynamic to the since that if you change the scale, they will automatically change size. On my computer you have to do a regen, but iw will all change according to the scale.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 7 of 13
wings1080

how do i delete them through the prospector?

Message 8 of 13
wings1080

a better question is this - i want to be able to run the sections over and over again until i get the scaling and graph settings right, so how do i go about this? and where do i make changes in the scaling and such?  sorry to be so clueless, have been going through tutorials, reading, watching videos and still lost

Message 9 of 13
wfberry

"i want to be able to run the sections over and over again until i get the scaling and graph settings right, . . "

I always use a different dwg for cross sections only.  Set your drawing scale to the same scale you want the cross sections to plot.  Decide how many sections you want on a sheet and you should be able to determine what your best scale should be.  I possibly do it different than some because I want my section's scale

horizontal and vertical the same.

Bill

Windows 7 x 64 Professional
Nvidia GeForce 9800 & 8500
12 GB Ram
i7 965 @ 3.20 GHz
Corsair Force 240 GB SSD
Infrastructure Suite 2014

Message 10 of 13
wings1080
in reply to: wfberry

Thanks wfberry, I haven't even had time to review this but will next week, appreciate the help very much, working the weekend on a different project that is generating more hellish questions lol

Message 11 of 13
tcorey

@wings1080 wrote:

a better question is this - i want to be able to run the sections over and over again until i get the scaling and graph settings right, so how do i go about this? and where do i make changes in the scaling and such?  sorry to be so clueless, have been going through tutorials, reading, watching videos and still lost

A trick I use is to pick one Section View (the grid and graph around the sections, not the sections themselves.)

Right click and pick Select similar. Press Delete.Only do this if you want to delete all section views in the drawing.

Run Create Multiple Section Views again.

Or

On the Prospector tab of Toolspace, find your alignment and expand, then expand Sample Line Group and Section View Groups. Right click on your section view group and pick delete.

See attached.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 12 of 13
Joe-Bouza

You don't re-run in civil3d and you don't delete - you modify the model. Scaling ? thats why your using c3d because you can change the scale and your lables updtae.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Good point for the OP Joe.

A typical project may have one file for the EG srf. Another for the FG surface/model and a third for the plotted sections. This third file references the EG and FG srf's (Data References). If the FG is revised all one has to do is open the section dwg and everything is updated automatically. Just review the label locations and save. No deleting views, no rerunning/resampling sections or replotting sections. This is one of C3D's major advantages over LDD IMO.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report