Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cross section view not getting all of swath

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
chudlundgreen
1088 Views, 12 Replies

cross section view not getting all of swath

Hi,

I'm relatively new to C3D and still learning a lot.  I have a problem (obviously) and I don't if it's a bug in the program or user error, I'm running 2011 by the way.

I made two very long sample lines with swaths over 200 feet.  My problem is that the cross section views don't encompass all of the swath width on the surface I need it to.  The offset (on the x-axis) seems to "know" the swath width as shown in the picture but the cross section view itself doesn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: chudlundgreen

Check the Section Style. Maybe some clipping or padding setting is messing you up?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13

Unfortunately I tried that already to no avail.  That's what I initially thought because it sure looks like some setting like that.  It probably still is some small setting but I can't find it. 

Message 4 of 13

If you are just looking for the surface to show aong the section line you could run aa alignment on the sample line and create a surface profile.

Just a thought.

Message 5 of 13

Jamesspenner,

That is a good idea, thank you and I will probably do that, I'm still curious though as to why it is doing that.  I'm thinking it's a bug.

Message 6 of 13

right click on your misbehaving section view >section view properties>OFFSETS tab. what happens when you set the offset range to AUTOMATIC?

if that doesnt do it, try increasing the offset values to a ridiculously high number for both and right (select USER SPECIFIED i mean).

Message 7 of 13

I did what you suggested.  It has always been on automatic, and the widths are correct there as you can see in the picture.  Then I changed it manually to about double and you can see the result. 

It seems that the sample line or section view is ignoring the full length for some reason.

BTW, I appreciate everyone's responses and help.

Chud

Message 8 of 13
Jeff_M

Can you post your dwg?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 13
chudlundgreen
in reply to: Jeff_M

Okay, here it is. It wouldn't let me attach the .bak file, not sure if you need it or not.

Thanks for looking into it, it is version 2011.

Good luck,

Chud

Message 10 of 13
Jeff_M

OK, here's the deal. Your scale is too small (1"=60') for your band labels to fit nicely in the band, this is causing the Stagger labels setting to kick in so it only appears that the entire section is not being shown. However, if you use the DISTANCE command and check the actual distance from 0 to the outside of section you will find it is correct.

To fix this, either A.) Use a different scale and/or label size, B.) Change the distance for the Major grid (I usually use 1" plotted, so this one would need to be 60 to work with your scale setting), or C.) Turn off the label staggering option, but this will result in the labels being a big illegible mess. Personally, I'd go with A.

HTH

EESignature
Message 11 of 13
chudlundgreen

Thank you Jeff!

By golly, you're right!  I agree it sounds like choice A is the preferred way to do things.  Quick question about scale.  As you know there is a scale button on the bottom right of the c3d window which says the scale as you pointed out is 1"=60'.  Can I change this without messing anything up since the drawing has already been created? 

Again thank you very much!

Chud

Message 12 of 13
Jeff_M

You can change the scale as much as you like. It will affect Civil3D labels, annotative text, etc. I find it best to do the sections in a separate drawing since the sections will usually be plotted at a much different scale than the rest of the drawing.

EESignature
Message 13 of 13
chudlundgreen

okay, thanks for the tip

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report