Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Section Slope Labeling

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
2312 Views, 18 Replies

Cross Section Slope Labeling

Are there plans for having this capability in the software? I create my section sheets using Sheet Manager. I need to label cross slope for road crown, shoulder, ditch foreslope and catch slope. Labeling all the cross slopes of the Top Surface would do it. Thanks, Fred
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Fred, If you have kerb and channel, labelling the Top surface creates a series of unnecessary and over lapping labels. The only practical way I could find to do this was to use the top surface for the catch slope and to list the pavement materials and ask the user to select which of those he wanted labelled. However, I think you will find that the "cross section" object will have display properties which totally supersede the need to use Style Sheets. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Fred Ernst" wrote in message news:3fe076b6_2@statler... Are there plans for having this capability in the software? I create my section sheets using Sheet Manager. I need to label cross slope for road crown, shoulder, ditch foreslope and catch slope. Labeling all the cross slopes of the Top Surface would do it. Thanks, Fred
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous

> If you have kerb and channel, labelling the Top surface creates a series of > unnecessary and over lapping labels. Yes that would be the case. A better option is probably to be able to label between Pcodes, and be able to choose the Pcode spans you want labeled. Fred
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

Hi Fred, You are right about Point Codes and I wish I'd thought of that initially. There are APIs for the point codes and I've thrown out some code to find the data as below. -- Regards Laurie, L E Comerford MIE(Aust); CPEng Application Support Engineer CADApps Australia Suite 102, 3 Chester Street Oakleigh 3166 ph +61 3 9568 0077 ext 205 fax +61 3 9568 0044 mob 0418 532 684 email laurie@cadapps.com.au web www.cadapps.com.au Sub PointCodeTest() Dim ssPtCodes As AeccCrossSectionPointCodes Dim oXSec As AeccCrossSection Dim oProj As AeccProject Set oProj = AeccApplication.ActiveProject Dim dChainage As Double Dim dOffset As Double Dim iCode As Integer Dim oAlign As AeccAlignment Set oAlign = oProj.Alignments("str-a") Set oXSec = oAlign.CrossSections(25) ' Could be any cross-section. I just chose ' cross section number 25 to see the data ' The code also works if you use: ' Set oXSec = oAlign.CrossSections("30") ' where 30 is the chainage of the section. dChainage = oXSec.Station Set ssPtCodes = oXSec.CrossSectionPointCodes For iCode = 0 To ssPtCodes.Count - 1 Debug.Print ssPtCodes.Item(iCode).Code, _ ssPtCodes.Item(iCode).Offset, _ ssPtCodes.Item(iCode).Elevation Next iCode End Sub ' PointCodeTest Output from the above code when using the default rural template supplied with Civil Design: 1 0 126.596115798662 25 -3.75 126.521115798662 25 3.75 126.521115798662 15 -6.37912087912108 126.054742172288 12 0 126.246115798662 15 6.37912087912108 126.054742172288 12 0 126.246115798662 2 -5.25 126.431115798662 16 -21.7226365648749 120.940236943703 2 5.25 126.431115798662 16 19.9750199148377 121.522775827049 "Fred Ernst" wrote in message news:3fe0c02f$1_5@statler... > > If you have kerb and channel, labelling the Top surface creates a series > of > > unnecessary and over lapping labels. > > Yes that would be the case. A better option is probably to be able to label > between Pcodes, and be able to choose the Pcode spans you want labeled. > > Fred > >
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

tink..tink.......tink...tink Are you guys on Christmas break already? Fred
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

Nah - Not quite yet. (at least not physically anyway). I've added this to the corridor modeling/drafting list of requirements. Thanks DAS "Fred Ernst" wrote in message news:3fe20104$1_3@statler... tink..tink.......tink...tink Are you guys on Christmas break already? Fred
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous

Dave, What type of labeling controls will be available in 3d civil for firm that create surface models for cross sections? How will be able to identify locations on our cross sections for labeling. we create entire finish ground surface models that we then sample with multiple surfaces. We currently use a utility that uses the current alignment and labels on station where the alignment encounters a 3d polyline. It works, but still not very complete. How will we be able to control text sample locations. John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:3fe36e5a_7@statler... Nah - Not quite yet. (at least not physically anyway). I've added this to the corridor modeling/drafting list of requirements. Thanks DAS "Fred Ernst" wrote in message news:3fe20104$1_3@statler... tink..tink.......tink...tink Are you guys on Christmas break already? Fred
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

Fred, Laurie and John, Thanks to you all for bringing out this point and carrying on the discussion... We are considering to add "section segment labels" to address these requirements. However this discussion aptly brought out how to apply these labels. From what I hear from this discussion, I noticed see following approaches (please correct me if I missed anything): (a) Label all segments for a selected surface section (or "section" object) as composed in "section segment" labels (b) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified group(s) of point codes. A few other ideas we were thinking (as far as our road modelling goes is) that the points (pcodes) forming top-surface (or any other road surfaces) could further be re-used to define many other surfaces, such as "Carriageway surface", "paved shoulder", "daylighting surface" (or whatever names, depending on your function) and perhaps we could derive section objects from each of these and you could label these (each with a kind of label style as you desire) instead of section object from "top-surface". Would this approach address John's concern? John, are you asking - "In abscence of point codes how can I control to label only some of a surface section segments"? If that was your question how about (c) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified offset rang(s) from the centerline (labels all segments that are found in that range). We appreciate your input on these, or any other procedure that you would like to see in the product that improves the process. Also, these section segment labels could potentially annotate property fields such as (a) cross-slope, with various types of formatting, (b) width of the segment, (c) offsets of start and end points from centerline etc... Can you please suggest any other typical property fields besides these that your offices would like to see labelled for these segments? Thanks Chakri Product Designer Autodesk "John Coon" wrote in message news:3fe44eb3$1_6@statler... Dave, What type of labeling controls will be available in 3d civil for firm that create surface models for cross sections? How will be able to identify locations on our cross sections for labeling. we create entire finish ground surface models that we then sample with multiple surfaces. We currently use a utility that uses the current alignment and labels on station where the alignment encounters a 3d polyline. It works, but still not very complete. How will we be able to control text sample locations. John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:3fe36e5a_7@statler... Nah - Not quite yet. (at least not physically anyway). I've added this to the corridor modeling/drafting list of requirements. Thanks DAS "Fred Ernst" wrote in message news:3fe20104$1_3@statler... tink..tink.......tink...tink Are you guys on Christmas break already? Fred
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

Basically we need to label the cardinal cross slopes in a cross section, but everyone probably has their view on what is cardinal. I don't need to label the cross slope of a face of curb, but then somebody may want to. I think the most logical approach is to be able to specify segments between two point codes that the user would like labeled. If you want to add the option of being able to name each of those sections with a surface segment name, that's fine, but not critical for me. I need automated cross slope info in Sheet Manager asap though :>) We have offset and elevation capabilities now with Sheet Manager for point codes, and we definitely can't afford to lose that. Fred
Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Hi Chakri, A most important aspect of a road is to be able to display different components of the top surface with different colours. Hence the "Carriageway surface, Paved Shoulder etc are essential. There also needs to be a linemarking capability so that when preparing 3D views and drive throughs the road looks meaningfully realistic. It also means that road furniture has to be drawn in proper 3D and be able to automatically insert itself at the road surface. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message news:3fe77096_4@statler... Fred, Laurie and John, Thanks to you all for bringing out this point and carrying on the discussion... We are considering to add "section segment labels" to address these requirements. However this discussion aptly brought out how to apply these labels. From what I hear from this discussion, I noticed see following approaches (please correct me if I missed anything): (a) Label all segments for a selected surface section (or "section" object) as composed in "section segment" labels (b) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified group(s) of point codes. A few other ideas we were thinking (as far as our road modelling goes is) that the points (pcodes) forming top-surface (or any other road surfaces) could further be re-used to define many other surfaces, such as "Carriageway surface", "paved shoulder", "daylighting surface" (or whatever names, depending on your function) and perhaps we could derive section objects from each of these and you could label these (each with a kind of label style as you desire) instead of section object from "top-surface". Would this approach address John's concern? John, are you asking - "In abscence of point codes how can I control to label only some of a surface section segments"? If that was your question how about (c) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified offset rang(s) from the centerline (labels all segments that are found in that range). We appreciate your input on these, or any other procedure that you would like to see in the product that improves the process. Also, these section segment labels could potentially annotate property fields such as (a) cross-slope, with various types of formatting, (b) width of the segment, (c) offsets of start and end points from centerline etc... Can you please suggest any other typical property fields besides these that your offices would like to see labelled for these segments? Thanks Chakri Product Designer Autodesk "John Coon" wrote in message news:3fe44eb3$1_6@statler... Dave, What type of labeling controls will be available in 3d civil for firm that create surface models for cross sections? How will be able to identify locations on our cross sections for labeling. we create entire finish ground surface models that we then sample with multiple surfaces. We currently use a utility that uses the current alignment and labels on station where the alignment encounters a 3d polyline. It works, but still not very complete. How will we be able to control text sample locations. John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:3fe36e5a_7@statler... Nah - Not quite yet. (at least not physically anyway). I've added this to the corridor modeling/drafting list of requirements. Thanks DAS "Fred Ernst" wrote in message news:3fe20104$1_3@statler... tink..tink.......tink...tink Are you guys on Christmas break already? Fred
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

Road furniture? Lay off the egg nog already, man. Fred
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

Please don't hang up your production progress on accomodating the 3D rendering issues that Laurie mentions. We need tools to ouptut the cardinal data in 2D form first, to help with the submital and review process with our municipal regulators. Thanks, Fred
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

I'll assume you are in fact NOT joking and wasn't aware that often times in Austrailia (Lauire's homeland) roadway signage, etc. is referred to as "furniture." ;) sm -- scott mceachron avatech solutions - dallas http://www.avat.com/ Check out Our White Papers: http://www.avatechsolutions.com/resources/papers/ Check out our Technical Tips: http://www.avatechsolutions.com/training/elearning/techtips_action.asp?sgid=3
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

I was actually half-joking. I did not know it was definitively signage, but had an inkling it was some type of road "accessory", if you will. I know he enjoys using the Australian terminology for what "he thinks" of as having an arrogant, denigrating effect on the rest of us, who he views on record as primitives. But I don't like to play his game. Is there an Australian AutoDesk version of the software that uses the Australian terminology in the menu system such as: carriageway, chainage, road furniture, etc.? Fred
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

Chakri, Our Models do not use any point codes or templates, so I don't see how I would be able to tell the section manager what to label other than to create alignments along the angle breaks in the surface. That would be a great deal of work to keep current. You might ask Mike Rogerson (AutoDesk, Manchester, NH) about the surface types we create. Mike worked for my company for many years. I also gave Karen Dowling (AutoDesk, Manchester, NH) & Mike project CD's that should be in Qc \Qa dept. if you want to see the sample surface models & sections John Coon Hoyle Tanner wrote in message news:3fe77096_4@statler... Fred, Laurie and John, Thanks to you all for bringing out this point and carrying on the discussion... We are considering to add "section segment labels" to address these requirements. However this discussion aptly brought out how to apply these labels. From what I hear from this discussion, I noticed see following approaches (please correct me if I missed anything): (a) Label all segments for a selected surface section (or "section" object) as composed in "section segment" labels (b) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified group(s) of point codes. A few other ideas we were thinking (as far as our road modelling goes is) that the points (pcodes) forming top-surface (or any other road surfaces) could further be re-used to define many other surfaces, such as "Carriageway surface", "paved shoulder", "daylighting surface" (or whatever names, depending on your function) and perhaps we could derive section objects from each of these and you could label these (each with a kind of label style as you desire) instead of section object from "top-surface". Would this approach address John's concern? John, are you asking - "In abscence of point codes how can I control to label only some of a surface section segments"? If that was your question how about (c) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified offset rang(s) from the centerline (labels all segments that are found in that range). We appreciate your input on these, or any other procedure that you would like to see in the product that improves the process. Also, these section segment labels could potentially annotate property fields such as (a) cross-slope, with various types of formatting, (b) width of the segment, (c) offsets of start and end points from centerline etc... Can you please suggest any other typical property fields besides these that your offices would like to see labelled for these segments? Thanks Chakri Product Designer Autodesk "John Coon" wrote in message news:3fe44eb3$1_6@statler... Dave, What type of labeling controls will be available in 3d civil for firm that create surface models for cross sections? How will be able to identify locations on our cross sections for labeling. we create entire finish ground surface models that we then sample with multiple surfaces. We currently use a utility that uses the current alignment and labels on station where the alignment encounters a 3d polyline. It works, but still not very complete. How will we be able to control text sample locations. John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:3fe36e5a_7@statler... Nah - Not quite yet. (at least not physically anyway). I've added this to the corridor modeling/drafting list of requirements. Thanks DAS "Fred Ernst" wrote in message news:3fe20104$1_3@statler... tink..tink.......tink...tink Are you guys on Christmas break already? Fred
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

Chakri, What about some method of labeling features that are not part of the model that you want to represent in your cross sections. like another alignment/setback/ROW that you want to identify in your sections. are there going to be any tools to dim or label they features. We would need to show these features as they relate to our section but might not need to apply a elevation label. John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "John Coon" wrote in message news:3fee2eac_1@statler... Chakri, Our Models do not use any point codes or templates, so I don't see how I would be able to tell the section manager what to label other than to create alignments along the angle breaks in the surface. That would be a great deal of work to keep current. You might ask Mike Rogerson (AutoDesk, Manchester, NH) about the surface types we create. Mike worked for my company for many years. I also gave Karen Dowling (AutoDesk, Manchester, NH) & Mike project CD's that should be in Qc \Qa dept. if you want to see the sample surface models & sections John Coon Hoyle Tanner wrote in message news:3fe77096_4@statler... Fred, Laurie and John, Thanks to you all for bringing out this point and carrying on the discussion... We are considering to add "section segment labels" to address these requirements. However this discussion aptly brought out how to apply these labels. From what I hear from this discussion, I noticed see following approaches (please correct me if I missed anything): (a) Label all segments for a selected surface section (or "section" object) as composed in "section segment" labels (b) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified group(s) of point codes. A few other ideas we were thinking (as far as our road modelling goes is) that the points (pcodes) forming top-surface (or any other road surfaces) could further be re-used to define many other surfaces, such as "Carriageway surface", "paved shoulder", "daylighting surface" (or whatever names, depending on your function) and perhaps we could derive section objects from each of these and you could label these (each with a kind of label style as you desire) instead of section object from "top-surface". Would this approach address John's concern? John, are you asking - "In abscence of point codes how can I control to label only some of a surface section segments"? If that was your question how about (c) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified offset rang(s) from the centerline (labels all segments that are found in that range). We appreciate your input on these, or any other procedure that you would like to see in the product that improves the process. Also, these section segment labels could potentially annotate property fields such as (a) cross-slope, with various types of formatting, (b) width of the segment, (c) offsets of start and end points from centerline etc... Can you please suggest any other typical property fields besides these that your offices would like to see labelled for these segments? Thanks Chakri Product Designer Autodesk "John Coon" wrote in message news:3fe44eb3$1_6@statler... Dave, What type of labeling controls will be available in 3d civil for firm that create surface models for cross sections? How will be able to identify locations on our cross sections for labeling. we create entire finish ground surface models that we then sample with multiple surfaces. We currently use a utility that uses the current alignment and labels on station where the alignment encounters a 3d polyline. It works, but still not very complete. How will we be able to control text sample locations. John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:3fe36e5a_7@statler... Nah - Not quite yet. (at least not physically anyway). I've added this to the corridor modeling/drafting list of requirements. Thanks DAS "Fred Ernst" wrote in message news:3fe20104$1_3@statler... tink..tink.......tink...tink Are you guys on Christmas break already? Fred
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

Hi John, It is planned to show Right-Of-Ways as a vertical grid lines in the section views, user can control their display like many other grid lines we currently have in Civil 3D. However at this point I am assuming that ROW is also part of the road model. Would this be sufficient? Would you like to label them too? If so can you elaborate? About other alignments that are no way related to the current road model - how would you like to see them in the section view? as a point at appropriate offset (left or right whichever is the case) or as another grid line in the section view? If these data sets are with our QA team I could collect them from Karen (am forwarding this mail to her too). Thanks or your input Chakri Product Designer - ADSK "John Coon" wrote in message news:3ffca1c0_1@statler... Chakri, What about some method of labeling features that are not part of the model that you want to represent in your cross sections. like another alignment/setback/ROW that you want to identify in your sections. are there going to be any tools to dim or label they features. We would need to show these features as they relate to our section but might not need to apply a elevation label. John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "John Coon" wrote in message news:3fee2eac_1@statler... Chakri, Our Models do not use any point codes or templates, so I don't see how I would be able to tell the section manager what to label other than to create alignments along the angle breaks in the surface. That would be a great deal of work to keep current. You might ask Mike Rogerson (AutoDesk, Manchester, NH) about the surface types we create. Mike worked for my company for many years. I also gave Karen Dowling (AutoDesk, Manchester, NH) & Mike project CD's that should be in Qc \Qa dept. if you want to see the sample surface models & sections John Coon Hoyle Tanner wrote in message news:3fe77096_4@statler... Fred, Laurie and John, Thanks to you all for bringing out this point and carrying on the discussion... We are considering to add "section segment labels" to address these requirements. However this discussion aptly brought out how to apply these labels. From what I hear from this discussion, I noticed see following approaches (please correct me if I missed anything): (a) Label all segments for a selected surface section (or "section" object) as composed in "section segment" labels (b) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified group(s) of point codes. A few other ideas we were thinking (as far as our road modelling goes is) that the points (pcodes) forming top-surface (or any other road surfaces) could further be re-used to define many other surfaces, such as "Carriageway surface", "paved shoulder", "daylighting surface" (or whatever names, depending on your function) and perhaps we could derive section objects from each of these and you could label these (each with a kind of label style as you desire) instead of section object from "top-surface". Would this approach address John's concern? John, are you asking - "In abscence of point codes how can I control to label only some of a surface section segments"? If that was your question how about (c) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified offset rang(s) from the centerline (labels all segments that are found in that range). We appreciate your input on these, or any other procedure that you would like to see in the product that improves the process. Also, these section segment labels could potentially annotate property fields such as (a) cross-slope, with various types of formatting, (b) width of the segment, (c) offsets of start and end points from centerline etc... Can you please suggest any other typical property fields besides these that your offices would like to see labelled for these segments? Thanks Chakri Product Designer Autodesk "John Coon" wrote in message news:3fe44eb3$1_6@statler... Dave, What type of labeling controls will be available in 3d civil for firm that create surface models for cross sections? How will be able to identify locations on our cross sections for labeling. we create entire finish ground surface models that we then sample with multiple surfaces. We currently use a utility that uses the current alignment and labels on station where the alignment encounters a 3d polyline. It works, but still not very complete. How will we be able to control text sample locations. John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:3fe36e5a_7@statler... Nah - Not quite yet. (at least not physically anyway). I've added this to the corridor modeling/drafting list of requirements. Thanks DAS "Fred Ernst" wrote in message news:3fe20104$1_3@statler... tink..tink.......tink...tink Are you guys on Christmas break already? Fred
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

Laurie, Interestingly these issues of linemarking and roadside signage were brought in to the discussion by various US and European users too. Also attaching material types to various civil objects through styles came up among us at Autodesk and with users too. This certainly will enhance 3D visualization. Do you want to see for any other features in Civil 3D too? (other than roads). Not making any promise on when they get addressed 🙂 but these items have been identified as requirements. Thanks Chakri Product Designer - ADSK "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message news:3fe77420_5@statler... > Hi Chakri, > > A most important aspect of a road is to be able to display different > components of the top surface with different colours. Hence the > "Carriageway surface, Paved Shoulder etc are essential. > > There also needs to be a linemarking capability so that when preparing 3D > views and drive throughs the road looks meaningfully realistic. > > It also means that road furniture has to be drawn in proper 3D and be able > to automatically insert itself at the road surface. > > > -- > > > Laurie Comerford > CADApps > www.cadapps.com.au > > "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message > news:3fe77096_4@statler... > Fred, Laurie and John, > > Thanks to you all for bringing out this point and carrying on the > discussion... We are considering to add "section segment labels" to address > these requirements. However this discussion aptly brought out how to apply > these labels. From what I hear from this discussion, I noticed see following > approaches (please correct me if I missed anything): > > (a) Label all segments for a selected surface section (or "section" object) > as composed in "section segment" labels > (b) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified > group(s) of point codes. > > A few other ideas we were thinking (as far as our road modelling goes is) > that the points (pcodes) forming top-surface (or any other road surfaces) > could further be re-used to define many other surfaces, such as "Carriageway > surface", "paved shoulder", "daylighting surface" (or whatever names, > depending on your function) and perhaps we could derive section objects from > each of these and you could label these (each with a kind of label style as > you desire) instead of section object from "top-surface". Would this > approach address John's concern? > > John, are you asking - "In abscence of point codes how can I control to > label only some of a surface section segments"? If that was your question > how about > > (c) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified > offset rang(s) from the centerline (labels all segments that are found in > that range). > > > We appreciate your input on these, or any other procedure that you would > like to see in the product that improves the process. > > > Also, these section segment labels could potentially annotate property > fields such as (a) cross-slope, with various types of formatting, (b) width > of the segment, (c) offsets of start and end points from centerline etc... > Can you please suggest any other typical property fields besides these that > your offices would like to see labelled for these segments? > > > Thanks > Chakri > Product Designer > Autodesk > > > > > > > "John Coon" wrote in message > news:3fe44eb3$1_6@statler... > Dave, > > What type of labeling controls will be available in 3d civil for firm that > create surface models for cross sections? How will be able to identify > locations on our cross sections for labeling. we create entire finish ground > surface models that we then sample with multiple surfaces. We currently use > a utility that uses the current alignment and labels on station where the > alignment encounters a 3d polyline. It works, but still not very complete. > How will we be able to control text sample locations. > > John Coon > Hoyle Tanner > Manchester, NH > > "Dave Simeone" wrote in message > news:3fe36e5a_7@statler... > > Nah - Not quite yet. (at least not physically anyway). I've added this > to the corridor modeling/drafting list of requirements. > > Thanks > DAS > "Fred Ernst" wrote in message > news:3fe20104$1_3@statler... > tink..tink.......tink...tink > > Are you guys on Christmas break already? > > Fred > > > >
Message 19 of 19
Anonymous

Chakri, Both would be best. having the ability to insert a point or line/grid label like the current ROW TextBox in R3 linked to aligns. You could add a Aligns list for each TextBox/checkbox with a TextBox for the label header. (4 minimum, each side) With the point/grid label feature, It would be EXTREMELY helpful in the production of sections if we could insert a block / symbol at these locations. Look at any DOT cross section and you'll note that over 50 percent of the document is hand labeled with symbols and call outs that the software does not supply. Cross section sheets consist of over 50 percent of an entire sheet count on DOT Highway & Aviation projects. Cross section labeling IS WITHOUT A DOUBT the highest charge for cad time on every project. Too much hand work. We need help! John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message news:4002fb37_3@statler... Hi John, It is planned to show Right-Of-Ways as a vertical grid lines in the section views, user can control their display like many other grid lines we currently have in Civil 3D. However at this point I am assuming that ROW is also part of the road model. Would this be sufficient? Would you like to label them too? If so can you elaborate? About other alignments that are no way related to the current road model - how would you like to see them in the section view? as a point at appropriate offset (left or right whichever is the case) or as another grid line in the section view? If these data sets are with our QA team I could collect them from Karen (am forwarding this mail to her too). Thanks or your input Chakri Product Designer - ADSK "John Coon" wrote in message news:3ffca1c0_1@statler... Chakri, What about some method of labeling features that are not part of the model that you want to represent in your cross sections. like another alignment/setback/ROW that you want to identify in your sections. are there going to be any tools to dim or label they features. We would need to show these features as they relate to our section but might not need to apply a elevation label. John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "John Coon" wrote in message news:3fee2eac_1@statler... Chakri, Our Models do not use any point codes or templates, so I don't see how I would be able to tell the section manager what to label other than to create alignments along the angle breaks in the surface. That would be a great deal of work to keep current. You might ask Mike Rogerson (AutoDesk, Manchester, NH) about the surface types we create. Mike worked for my company for many years. I also gave Karen Dowling (AutoDesk, Manchester, NH) & Mike project CD's that should be in Qc \Qa dept. if you want to see the sample surface models & sections John Coon Hoyle Tanner wrote in message news:3fe77096_4@statler... Fred, Laurie and John, Thanks to you all for bringing out this point and carrying on the discussion... We are considering to add "section segment labels" to address these requirements. However this discussion aptly brought out how to apply these labels. From what I hear from this discussion, I noticed see following approaches (please correct me if I missed anything): (a) Label all segments for a selected surface section (or "section" object) as composed in "section segment" labels (b) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified group(s) of point codes. A few other ideas we were thinking (as far as our road modelling goes is) that the points (pcodes) forming top-surface (or any other road surfaces) could further be re-used to define many other surfaces, such as "Carriageway surface", "paved shoulder", "daylighting surface" (or whatever names, depending on your function) and perhaps we could derive section objects from each of these and you could label these (each with a kind of label style as you desire) instead of section object from "top-surface". Would this approach address John's concern? John, are you asking - "In abscence of point codes how can I control to label only some of a surface section segments"? If that was your question how about (c) Label all segments for a selected "section object" within specified offset rang(s) from the centerline (labels all segments that are found in that range). We appreciate your input on these, or any other procedure that you would like to see in the product that improves the process. Also, these section segment labels could potentially annotate property fields such as (a) cross-slope, with various types of formatting, (b) width of the segment, (c) offsets of start and end points from centerline etc... Can you please suggest any other typical property fields besides these that your offices would like to see labelled for these segments? Thanks Chakri Product Designer Autodesk "John Coon" wrote in message news:3fe44eb3$1_6@statler... Dave, What type of labeling controls will be available in 3d civil for firm that create surface models for cross sections? How will be able to identify locations on our cross sections for labeling. we create entire finish ground surface models that we then sample with multiple surfaces. We currently use a utility that uses the current alignment and labels on station where the alignment encounters a 3d polyline. It works, but still not very complete. How will we be able to control text sample locations. John Coon Hoyle Tanner Manchester, NH "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:3fe36e5a_7@statler... Nah - Not quite yet. (at least not physically anyway). I've added this to the corridor modeling/drafting list of requirements. Thanks DAS "Fred Ernst" wrote in message news:3fe20104$1_3@statler... tink..tink.......tink...tink Are you guys on Christmas break already? Fred

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report