Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CROSS SECTION DISPLAY

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rainmanoliver1
6216 Views, 6 Replies

CROSS SECTION DISPLAY

Hello All, 

I am working with cross sections for the first time and have run into a few things I can't seem to figure out.

In attachment XSEC CIVIL 3D.pdf you will see how the cross sections currently look in my drawing. 

My questions:

1.  I cant seem to edit the elevation labels on the right side of the section to match the left side. Where/how can I do this?

2.  What is the red line? In some sections it exactly follows the assembly section, but in a few (like this one) it doesn't quite follow. Does this line show where manual editing was done?

3.  Where the pavement ends, there is a vertical line which I only want to show on the two pavement layers, it shows all the way thru the assembly. This also happens at the centerline of the assembly and at the edge of shoulder. I figured out how to turn them all off, but I want the edge of pavement vertical lines there, any ideas on that?

4.  Although the assembly section comes in on color 161 which should plot black for my pen setting, it plots true color. I havent been able to figure out how to switch this.  The second attachment shows a section from a LDD project a few years back which is how I would like this section to plot.

I think those are the big ones, your help is much appreciated.

Rene

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

1. in the settings tab of toolspace you need to modify the standard style or create your own for the xsections. the dialogs are similar to profile views.

2. the red line is the FG surface.

3. to get the paving to display the way you describe. i think you will need to create some link styles.

4. this is using the link style change the color there.

-Sean
------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a CAD Manager for a Civil Engineering firm...
Message 3 of 7

To elaborate a little bit and add an follow-up question:

1. It looks like you have the labels set on the left side. You need to actually select the labels on the right side (in the style settings) and make them match what you changed for the left side.

2. As stated, the red line is probably another surface. It should display the name in the contextual tab when you select it. You can decide what displays on the sections in the section view settings.

3. This, I have an issue with. In the stock assemblies, all (or at least most) of the vertical links are uncoded. Therefore, if you change the link code to display on layer Defpoints, it will change anything that is not coded, which is a lot of the links. Another solution is to learn how to use the Subassembly Composer. I believe it's still only available to subscription members, so this may not even be an option to you, but this gives you the ability to create a subassembly exactly how you need it.

4. As stated, this is in the link style. Be sure to drop down to change the color in the section view, not just the plan view.

If anyone else can offer some help on modifying the style of individual links, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 7

Thank you both for your replies. That helped me solve a few of the issues I am having.

Following up on question #2: I only have 2 surfaces in the drawing; existing grade and a finish grade corridor surface which has been manually edited. Am i correct in assuming that the red line shows my edits and the block of the assembly shows it in it's unedited state?

#3 & 4 - what are link styles, how would i use them to correct these issues?

Thanks for the help

Message 5 of 7

I'm glad we were able to help you move forward.

I think you're correct that the red line is the surface of the corridor, however I don't think it's the best practice to manually edit that. (Any one else, feel free to chime in) Changing the surface won't change your corridor (which is the blue line work) and the surface should update when you make changes to your corridor resetting any manual edits you may have made. The better method is to change the parameters in your corridor or assembly to match what you need. If it's only one or two sections, then use the Corridor Section Editor. Look around for different techniques for editing corridors, the possibilities are endless.

There are three main aspects to a subassembly that creates an assembly which creates the corridor. There are points, links and shapes and each of these can have their own style to dictate the display. If you look in your toolspace settings, under the 'General' heading you will see 'Multipurpose Styles" and then 'Code Set Styles.' Poke around in there and you should figure out what's going on. Click the import codes button on the bottom right and select your subassembly and it will grab any additional codes from your subs that may not be listed.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Message 6 of 7

I'm not sure I am reading your reply correctly, but I am not editing the red line in the cross sections. I was speaking of editing the corridor surface, by adding points, feature lines, and adjusting points at driveways, culverts and such.

Is editing a surface with those tools a bad idea? 

Message 7 of 7

Again, it depends on what you plan on using them for, but as far as I know, that is correct.

When you edit the surface, you are only doing just that. Think of the corridor surface as a one-way link. If you edit the surface, it won't update the corridor, but if you edit the corridor, it will update the surface. If you only need to show the top line or get elevations from the new surface, then this would be fine, but if you're going to need to show the whole section, then the corridor needs to be updated as well.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report