Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating thickness contours (difference between 2 surfaces)

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
MKH-VB
1724 Views, 10 Replies

creating thickness contours (difference between 2 surfaces)

I have created 2 surfaces of a matierial that is buried, using drill hole data.  I have a surface for the top, and then a surface for the bottom of this material.  I then created a 3rd suface comparing these 2, creating an isopac contour showning the thickness of the material.  My question is this:.....is there a way to make the zero (0) contour show up?  I have a .5 contour interval, but 0 doesn't generate.  Could i be missiing something in the settings?  Thanks for any help.

mkh
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: MKH-VB

What version of C3D are you using?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 11
MKH-VB
in reply to: Jeff_M

using 2011 C3D

mkh
Message 4 of 11
Jeff_M

OK, well I know I recall seeing this issue, but I'm pretty sure it was for an older version....and now I can't find any references to it.

Make sure your Major contours are set to display. If they are and 0 contour still doesn't show....

Make sure your UserDefined contours are set to display. Do a Surface Analysis for User Defined Contours, add 1 range at elevation 0. You should then be able to view the 0 elevation contours.

EESignature
Message 5 of 11
MKH-VB

not sure how to do the surface analysis.

mkh
Message 6 of 11
Jeff_M

Surface Properties (right click in Prospector, right click when selecting surface in the drawing, or on the Ribbon), Analysis tab, under Analysis type choose User Defined Contours, for the Range set it to 1, use the arrow to the right to 'send' it to the window below, change the elevation to 0.

3-1-2012 12-24-55 PM.png

EESignature
Message 7 of 11
MKH-VB

great.....a picture is worth a thousand words they say!  That helped a lot. Thanks very much.

mkh
Message 8 of 11
Jeff_M

Glad I could help! I know you marked a post as the solution, but thought this still might apply:

If you find a response which answers your question, please be sure to accept the actual post which helped you as the solution. This will help future searchers quickly find answers to their own questions. Thanks!

EESignature
Message 9 of 11
MKH-VB

you got it.

MKH

mkh
Message 10 of 11
mathewkol

...and it helps Jeff get a better rating as a poster :)...

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 11 of 11
mwhosey

Was wondering if you could help me by giving a description of how you created your surfaces from drill hole data.  I have some drill survey data of a cavern in an Excel file (depth, radial direction, and radial distance) and am tasked with finding out how to create a 3D model of it.  What format was you data in when inserted it to create the dat?  Thanks for any help you or anyone else can offer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report