Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Surfaces with given polylines and inputed elevations

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
sanramir
693 Views, 9 Replies

Creating Surfaces with given polylines and inputed elevations

I've been creeping on these forums for a while now, have found alot of useful stuff, but finally decided to post something. 

I desperately need help and any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm need to come up with the volume of cut and fill needed to go about my project.

I'm trying to create the predevelopment surface but everytime I click the contours when I'm trying to add them to the surface they never get added on does anyone have a solution to this?

The 2014Contours layer is the existing grade. 

ANY DIRECTION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

DWG FILE IS ATTACHED!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rkmcswain
in reply to: sanramir

Seems like there is something wrong with that drawing.

I *inserted* your drawing into a new, empty drawing and the process works fine there.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 10
doni49
in reply to: rkmcswain

I'll second that.  I opened your file and had the same issue as the OP.  Then I inserted the file into a NEW file.

Now I'm able to add those contours to the surface.  This was done using C3D 2014 SP2.  I tried to upload my test file but even with purging everything and putting it in a zip file, I couldn't get it smaller than 9.5mb.

Try inserting the file into a new file.   If the problem continues then it's likely an issue with the template.

In fact, here's a copy of my template.  If the issue continues, try using mine.  It works that way, then it's definitely a setting in your template.

Note that it doesn't have a dwt extension like a template normally does -- the site wouldn't allow me to upload a dwt file.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 10
sanramir
in reply to: doni49

How do I insert the file into a new drawing? I'm using Civil 3d 2015. I'm in the insert tab but I don't see and option for a file. Thank you so much for your input though it definitely helps out alot!!!!! I'm over here going crazy and it's not even my fault..that I know of!
Message 5 of 10
rkmcswain

sanramir wrote:
How do I insert the file into a new drawing? I'm using Civil 3d 2015. I'm in the insert tab but I don't see and option for a file.
Insert command > Browse button > Find the file > Uncheck all of the "Specify on Screen" buttons. Check ON the "Explode" button.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 10
doni49

@sanramir wrote:
How do I insert the file into a new drawing? I'm using Civil 3d 2015. I'm in the insert tab but I don't see and option for a file. Thank you so much for your input though it definitely helps out alot!!!!! I'm over here going crazy and it's not even my fault..that I know of!

Open/create a new dwg file.  Then on the Insert tab, click Insert (see the following image).  A dialog will pop up and you click on "Browse" to choose a dwg file.

Insert.png

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 10
sanramir

WOW  -___-   

You guys are awesome!!!   Thanks, can I just keep asking you guys about how to manipulate my files on Civil 3d? 

Message 8 of 10
doni49

@sanramir wrote:

WOW  -___-   

You guys are awesome!!!   Thanks, can I just keep asking you guys about how to manipulate my files on Civil 3d? 

It's best to start a new thread if it's a different/unrelated question.  If it's a follow-up to this specific issue, then ask here.

You can ask anything you need help with.  That's what this board is for.  SOMEONE will (should be able to) help.  I've never once been made to feel bad for asking questions.

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 10
doni49

One more thing.  I can tell you that although I previously had extensive knowledge of acad, I had never used C3D prior to 12/2012.  Most of what I've learned about C3D has been via these boards -- asking questions myself as well as reading OTHER PEOPLE's questions and the answers they've recieved.  So come back often even when you don't have a question.  Read through the issues people post about.  Read the solutions offered.  You'll learn a LOT just from that.

Even being a member of this EE group, has caused me to learn things too.  When trying to think "now how would I go about doing that?", I'm forced to think beyond what I've done in the past.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 10
sanramir

Is this the proper way to set a boundary to my limit of work?  

I created a surface that took all of the contours given to me into account and then I simply set the boundaries to a polyline that I set around my area of interest.

Would the contours be read correctly?

Im arranging a set of proposed contours that I'm going to compare to this EG to determine the cut and fill needed.

Would attach file but it's too big  😕

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report