Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating surface from AutoCad objects

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
noein23
489 Views, 5 Replies

Creating surface from AutoCad objects

Hi, I am trying to create a surface from polylines created in autocad. I've tried editing the properties of the lines and giving them elevations and then tried to add definition to a surface from drawing objects but this doesnt work. Attached is the dwg.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: noein23

Hi,

I tried it with your drawing and all works as expected. What did I do:

opened the Civil 3D prospector (if not already open)

go to "Surface" ==> "EG" ==> "Surface Data" ==> "Breaklines" ==> rightclick ==> Add .... or you can also add your polylines as contours.

You can find a tutorial for that >>>here<<<

What makes you feeling that this does not work? Do you get any error message?

Or is it just that you don't see very much happening in the graphic-area of Civil3D? In this case the problem is you started with a template that has no Civil3D-styles predefined (except of the pure "Standard"-ones). So you will see nothing else but a surface-border. To get more details displayed select your surface ==> rightclick ==> modify Surface Style ==> and in the "Display"-tab enable all you want to see ... don't forget that you have mulitple displaytypes (2D and 3D) for what you could enable triangles, contours, surface-points, ...

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6
noein23
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

thank you for replying. when I do this and goto object viewer - conceptual, it shows it as flat

Message 4 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I've tried choosing lines, 3d faces, etc from the drop down menu

That makes me thinking you have not added "Breaklines" but you tried adding geometry? Breakline is not the same!

Look to the attached video, of course it's german (I have no english Civil) but the positions of where to click are the same in every language of Civil3D.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 6
noein23
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

thank you for that video 🙂 i've tried adding it as breaklines and as contour lines but as you have shown in your video, it shows up flat on the obeject viewer, do you know why this is?

Message 6 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

yes, it's flat and it's nearly horizontal. But that's not a problem of Civil3D or of the surface you created, it's what the contours shows us!

Measure the distance between contour 90 and 91 on the east ends of the contours. The distance is 58 where it raises by 1 (whatever units you have, Civil is set to feet, _UNITS is set to NONE) a slope of 58:1 is not as much.

Look to this screenshot, on the left side an alignment (clicked, so you see the grips) and on the right side the profile view from the surface (exaggeration = 10).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report