Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Design Criteria and Check set files

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
MatTheDrafter
572 Views, 6 Replies

Creating Design Criteria and Check set files

I am interested in creating design criteria and check set files. Does anyone know how one would go about creating these files?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: MatTheDrafter

To make your own design criteria files, take a look at the .xml files in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2015\enu\Data\Corridor Design Standards\Imperial (or metric.)

The design check sets are not stored in external files, they are stored in the drawing file. Go to the settings tab of the ribbon, expand Alignments, expand Design Checks. These are best created in your drawing template so that new drawings have them included. If you need to copy them from one file to another, use the Import command on the Styles panel of the Manage ribbon tab or drag-n-drop using the Settings tab of Toolspace.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
MatTheDrafter
in reply to: tcorey

Is there a way to have that design criteria file on a server so that everyone can be using the same design criteria file?

Also how would one edict the .xml file to reflect different design standards?  I would like to design one to reflect the different municipalities we deal with so we can more rapidly determine if we are within their standards. 

Message 4 of 7
sboon

There is an editor for the Design criteria files within Civil3d.  If you select an alignment then you'll see it in the middle of the modify panel on the Ribbon.  You can also enter DESIGNCRITERIAEDITOR on the command line.  We save our criteria files to a shared network folder, so that any user in the company can select the appropriate one in the alignment properties dialog.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 7
MatTheDrafter
in reply to: sboon

So you can create different Design Criteria files using the command line and saved them to different locations or as new files on the server?

Message 6 of 7
sboon

I started by opening one of the OOTB files in the criteria editor, then saved the modified file to my Desktop.  I used that file for testing purposes until I had everything working right, then copied it over to a server folder which has read-only permissions for most users.

Everybody can use that new file but they cannot edit it.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 7
MatTheDrafter
in reply to: sboon

I will have to test that out for myself and see if it works.

It will also give me a chance to learn more about the various design standards used for different municipalities.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report