Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Data Shortcuts Problem

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
JBozz300
5686 Views, 50 Replies

Creating Data Shortcuts Problem

Morning everyone...

So I have this little issue that's bothered me now for a couple of weeks or so.  I have a design drawing with several alignments and profiles, and have created a corridor with a surface and all, and now have to create some plan-profiles.  So I created the view-frames, then the sheets and all looks good.  Now back in my design I create some new profiles by layout in existing profile views and want those new profiles to show up in the plan-profiles I created.  I save the drawing then goto my project in toolspace and right-click then select "Create Data Shortcuts" and it tells me that the drawing must be saved.  So I save it then repeat, and get the same thing.  So I save the drawing then close cad.  It ask me to save even though I don't do anything (i.e. run a command or zoom or pan).  I save, get out, then restart.  Open the drawing and the first thing I do is try to create the data shortcuts and it tells me to save the drawing first.  I save then retry and it says the same thing. ISAVEPERCENT is set to 0 for a full save.  I do have some apps loaded and running, but that will only affect when I first start the drawing and not later after doing work then saving.  I also have the latest service patch installed.  Any ideas?

JBozz300 Out!
C3D 2014 SP1
i7-3770 @ 3.40
16 GB - Win 7 Pro-64 SP1
NVidia Quadro 2000
50 REPLIES 50
Message 21 of 51
JBozz300
in reply to: JBozz300

No on the opening the case with Autodesk and yes on the .save, .qsave, .saveas.  Never have opened a case with Autodesk so not sure where to go to do that.  Will try and get that done ASAP.  Like mentioned before it's happening on multiple projects, so I'm not thinking it's drawing specific.  FYI- I did perform a repair on my C3D about 2-3 weeks ago and was able to get the first project that I was working on to create the data shortcuts.  Since then though I have not had the same luck with this currect project or any other.

JBozz300 Out!
C3D 2014 SP1
i7-3770 @ 3.40
16 GB - Win 7 Pro-64 SP1
NVidia Quadro 2000
Message 22 of 51
JeffPaulsen

Assuming you are on subscription sign in to the subscription site. Then pick Access Your Subscription Benefits. Near the bottom of the page pick Request Support.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 23 of 51
JBozz300
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

Gotcha...doing that as we type.  Thanks.

JBozz300 Out!
C3D 2014 SP1
i7-3770 @ 3.40
16 GB - Win 7 Pro-64 SP1
NVidia Quadro 2000
Message 24 of 51
dorkyfreak

Hi all,

So I noticed that i was only able to create data shortcut only using the ribbon menu (under Manage tab) right after I do a qsave for the drawing. If I move/pan/zoom in the drawing, I would need to save the drawing again.

Before, I would select the alignment/surface/pipe network in the drawing first to create the data shortcut. That procedure doesn't work for me in 2012 anymore, even though there is a button for data shortcut in the ribbon once you select the civil 3D smart object.  

Message 25 of 51
mmcpl

you recovered your drawing with recovery tools my problem is solved by that way.

Message 26 of 51
mmcpl

i opened a case and autodesk support team gave me solution. they suggested me to do in fresh drawing create a data shortcut. in fresh drawing i didn't get problem. but in my some file has problem. so i recovered that drawing with recovery tools and till date i am working in same files and no problem occured again. so do it by recovery tools may be your problem can solve.

Message 27 of 51
JBozz300

So I might have found a solution to this whole problem, though I'm not sure how this came about.  I created a ticket with Autodesk (since we have subscription) and described the problem.  They got back to me and told me to save the drawing to my local machine (since our drawings are saved to the server) then try and create the data shortcuts.  This appears to have worked.  So the suggestion then was to contact our IT guys and look at permissions on the server.  I did this and our IT looked at all permissions and they all appeared to hand out admin rights to all designers (esp. since other designers don't have this problem).  He then checked the properties of my C3D icon and looked at the compatibility mode and checked the "Run as Administrator" box at the bottom.  I then re-ran C3D, opened the drawing and was able to save my data shortcuts.  Looking at the differences of other machines as well as before I remember having problems, I can't really run down why this would be the fix, since we have never made this change beforehand, nor ever had problems in the past with previous versions as well.  I have applied service packs to my C3D, as well as repaired it, and I can see where this would have created a new icon.  But I had never gone into their and switched that on in any of my previous installs.  Take it for what it is, as I will be continuing to keep an eye on this problem to make sure that this was the solution.  Keep in mind that I am running Win-7 64 bit and the 64-bit version of C3D 2012.  So this may make a difference.  Thanks again and I hope that this might help others with this same problem.

JBozz300 Out!
C3D 2014 SP1
i7-3770 @ 3.40
16 GB - Win 7 Pro-64 SP1
NVidia Quadro 2000
Message 28 of 51
mbravo_terra

¡yo lo solucione aumentando el salvado de la version del 2007 al 2013!

I resolved to increase the version saved from 2007 to 2013!

Message 29 of 51
kcbell

I was having these same problems and here was my solution.  I use 2013.  I just did a purge.  Then I did a -purge and purged the reg apps.  Then I ran an audit.  That seemed to take care of it.  If I ever have any "funny" things going on in my drawings I always do this first and it usually does the trick.

James Bell

Message 30 of 51
areese9779

Thanks for sharing the solution that worked for you JBozz300.  I am having the exact same issue, and have been since installing SP2 for Civil 3D 2012.  Unfortuantely, changing the Compatibility setting to run as administrator did not solve my issue.  I have opened a similar ticket with Autodesk, but I wanted to see if they may have given you any other information or solutions?  I'm hoping to get a bit quicker response from you than I will from Autodesk.

Thanks,

Andy Reese

C3D 2012, SP2

Dell Precision T3400, Windows 7 64-bit

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Dell Precision M4800, Windows 10 64-bit
Message 31 of 51
JBozz300

To tell you the truth I can't remember now whether I fixed the problem 100% or not.  I think that I ended up reinstalling 2012 (Due to another problem) and that ended up fixing some of the issues.  There wasn't too much more that I ended up doing on the project anyway, and so all of the shortcuts I created afterwards seemed to work just fine.  Now that 2013 is out, we will be deploying that in the next few weeks and maybe that will be a non-issue.  Thanks....

JBozz300 Out!
C3D 2014 SP1
i7-3770 @ 3.40
16 GB - Win 7 Pro-64 SP1
NVidia Quadro 2000
Message 32 of 51
civ_engineer
in reply to: areese9779

I've got the same problem. It keeps telling me to save first.

It works on another machine.. one that I did not install the civil 3D 2012 SP2 on... humm

Did you find a fix?

Message 33 of 51
areese9779
in reply to: civ_engineer

Sadly, I had to uninstall and then reinstall 2012.  I only included the first update, and everything appears to be working correctly, although the program does seem less stable than before.  I updated Autodesk on my service request, and they said they would continue to look for a solution.

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 34 of 51
bkanther

Same problem here.

Data shorcuts cant be created. Keeps thinking drawing isnt saved!!

Autodesk??? Support???

Re

Brad

Message 35 of 51

We have found an issue in SP2 that if you use AutoCAD Fields to label Assemblies you can't create a data short cut in the file because it always says the file needs to be saved. We are working with the AutoCAD team to find a solution for this.

There are two work-arounds that you can use right now: Explode the MText to change the fields to just text, or change the FIELDEVAL from 31 to 0, make the shortcut and set the value back to 31. The change is because this variable refreshes the field on save and that tells the drawing that it needs to save again. When the variable is set to 0, AutoCAD doesn't try to do the update of save and the drawing is clean for short cuts.

We'll let you know when we have the final solution to this.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Tags (1)
Message 36 of 51
klugb
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Peter,

Thank you for letting us know what is going on, and at least a workaround. I appreciate the notification.

Kudos to whoever figured that one out, talk about a needle in a haystack!

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 37 of 51

yes.. thank you for the work around Peter

Message 38 of 51

Most Ridiculous bug ever seen!

Thanks Peter

Message 39 of 51
scotts

Ugg... 1 hour working time lost! 

Good thing I only loaded SP2 on my machine and not the rest of the companies. 

Message 40 of 51

Thank you very much for the update Peter - that did the trick.  Kudos for heping us out on this one!

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report