Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating breakline with correct Z from a survey

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
cyberflow
437 Views, 8 Replies

Creating breakline with correct Z from a survey

Hi !

I usually receive a survey and have to create a surface with it and work it a bit by creating breaklines (for centerline, curb's and ditche's).

The surfaces is built with blocks with elevation info.

The lines are already drawn but they're a simple polyline (with one single Z elevation) put each vertice is at the same position has a block that has all the info with the elevation.

I was wondering if there's a way other then snapping a 3dpoly or a feature line ?

Its a bit of a time killer and i think that there's a quicker way to do what i do.

I'm not sure if a drap to surface with the polyline will add the Z information to the breakling ? ..

(Little printscreen to show you)

2014-06-18_103630.png

--------------------------------------------
Using : Autodesk Civil 3D 2022& 2023
AKA Frank Freitas, Senior Roadway Designer @ Kiewit
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: cyberflow

That would work.

Build the surface from the blocks, then add the polylines as Proximity Breaklines. They will change no elevations, but they will force some interpolation lines to flip.

The next step is to hire a surveyor who will give you actual points and 3d polylines as breaklines, or, better yet, will provide the surface in a drawing he created with Civil 3D. 😉

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
cyberflow
in reply to: tcorey

Hey hi there,

Just tryed the "proximity" option on the breaklines.
Does really make has clean has a 3d poly or a feature line.

Had to redo each line in feature.

Message 4 of 9
doni49

Please try restating your issue.

The only thing I got out of it was that you had to redo it.  That second third sentence didn't make sense.

But give this a read too.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-B7F746C2-40FB-43F6-9583-A0FE6E76388-853.htm

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: doni49

Also need to make sure that the proximity breaklInes are not converted to standard when surface is buiIt.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 9
_Hathaway

The only one creating the surface should be the surveyor in charge or someone working under him IMO. Anytime you try and 'create' a surface out of data only, it's almost guaranteed to be wrong.

Why isn't the surveyor supplying you a surface?
Message 7 of 9
sboon
in reply to: _Hathaway

Tim's idea will create 3d breakline data within the surface definition, but won't change the original 2d polylines.  If you really want featurelines with the correct point elevations then you'll need to create the surface, then convert all of the polylines to featurelines.  Once that is done you can use the elevations from surface command to get the featurelines to the correct elevations - make sure that the option for inserting intermediate grade breaks is turned off.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 9
cyberflow
in reply to: _Hathaway

Well our surveyor doesn't use Civil 3d.

We use it to do the conception.

I guess it differs from company to company !

Ty everyone for replying.
Was pretty much busy lately and with a holiday too.

I used sboon solution and worked.
Was just wondering if there was a quicker way since the vertex was at the same X & Y if there was a way to take the Z of the bloc and put it to the polyline or feature.

But it seems theres only way to do it and it's manually !

Ty again 🙂 Very much appreciated !
Message 9 of 9
neilyj666

For future reference if your surveyor uses something that is capable of producing a triangular DTM then request that this is supplied.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report