Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an Assembly Offset

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
neilyj666
2051 Views, 7 Replies

Creating an Assembly Offset

I've just been looking at the Assemlby Offset but not sure what it is useful for - please can someone enlighten me???

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mathewkol
in reply to: neilyj666

With assembly offset and ETW target

1.png

With normal assembly, same target.

2.png

The offset needs its own alignemtn AND profile.  As you can see, you are not limited to your corridor sections being perpendicular to the baseline alignment, instead they are perpendicular to the target alignment.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 8
jeff_rivers
in reply to: mathewkol

Very nice pictures, thanks for creating those.  What happens in the small gaps at the beginning and end of the offset region when you make a corridor FG surface?

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 4 of 8
mathewkol
in reply to: jeff_rivers

I'm not sure why I don't have more sections near those gaps, but any surface would just triangulate across those areas.  There's a chance you'd have to swap a few edges to make the TIN correct.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 8
neilyj666

Thanks for this - I've never really looked at assembly offsets before as never had any need...Smiley Happy

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: neilyj666

I don't know if this has been fixed in 12 or 13 but in 11 you are not able to extract a feature line from an offset assembly and maintain dynamic connection to the corridor.

Snip from my SR:

Thank you for your update. That is part of the issue. You seem to be creating feature lines (links) with the offset assembly. The issue is that program is not able to create the feature line. I hope this will be fixed in the near future. Unfortunately I have no information when.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 8
fcernst

Please program Civil 3D to have the capability to recognize that the subassemblies that are outside of a transitioning alignment have to be oriented perpendicular to that transitioning alignment for correct surface triangulation.

Users now have to go through the extra work to set up an Offset Assembly, come up with a clever Profile scenario, (or a MarkedPoint configuration)  just to realize proper triangulation that should be occurring in the first place.

Then the user has to keep the above mentioned extra Corridor, Assembly, Profile or MarkedPoint,  overhead in mind for the duration of the project. This type of non-elegant overhead unnecessarily detracts from the good aspects of Civil 3D.

Super elevation axis of rotation is not supported with Offset Asemblies. Therefore, how does one get proper triangulation outside of the LaneSuperelevationAOR subassembly with superelevation?

Thanks

Fred

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 8
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: jeff_rivers

These are probably due to the offset value between the channel line and the widening offset alignment being too small or zero, I get this a lot.

Instead of assembly offsets insert a different subassembly or you could use a conditional "Target found" subassembly in this region as I do.

If you then allow the two regions to overwrite each other by a small ammount or until they are perpendicular to the master alignment then you can erase the underlying subassemblies and you will have the gaps filled and ready for setting out (NB: a carefully positioned second conditional target found would also do this instead of edits).

Obviously you still need to provide a profile for the offset alignment but the outside edges will be correct.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report