Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an Alignment for a Corridor

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ed
Contributor
481 Views, 7 Replies

Creating an Alignment for a Corridor

I have the centerline of a berm constructed using a 3D polyline.  I want to use this centerline as the Alignment that I need from which to create a Corridor.  When I try to create an Alignment from objects, I can only use a 2D polyline, not 3D.  The berm has a slope to it and I need to have the assembly follow that slope as I create the Corridor.  Do I need to create the Alignment in 2D and then edit the points for elevation?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: ed

Alignments don't have elevation. You'll need to create the alignment (depending on the complexity, you can just trace over it). You'll then need to create a profile. One trick is to use the Quick Profile command (grab the featureline, right click, Quick Profile). Then export that profile out to a LandXML file. When you import that LandXML file back into your drawing, you'll get an alignment and profile.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 8
ed
Contributor
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks.  I may not be able to try that until tomorrow, but I'll let you know how it works.

Message 4 of 8
neilyj666

If by slope you mean a crossfall slope, you'll also be able to specify this in the assembly, so essentially the profile controls the longitudinal slope and the assembly controls the crossfall

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 8
ed
Contributor

Excellent.  I have the corridor in place with the slope according to my original alignment.  Thanks!

Now, do you know a quick way to get a corridor volume?

Message 6 of 8
BrianHailey

Create a surface from the corridor and then use the volume tools to compare that surface to the existing ground.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 8
ed
Contributor

OK - I had this down and had created one corridor just fine.

However, there's been a design change and I'm needing to create a new corridor.

According to your steps below, you say I need to create an alignment (can just trace over it).  I'm guessing you meant I need to create a feature line, because when I try to create a profile, it won't allow me to select an aligment.

Once I select the feature line, then I can create the profile, export it to xml and import it back in.

Now, I am unsure of the next step.  You say that the importing will create the alignment, but where does it get the elevations from?  I'm on a deadline (of course) so if you could help quickly, that would be great.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
ed
Contributor

Brian, OK - I had this down and had created one corridor just fine. However, there's been a design change and I'm needing to create a new corridor. According to your steps below, you say I need to create an alignment (can just trace over it). I'm guessing you meant I need to create a feature line, because when I try to create a profile, it won't allow me to select an aligment. Once I select the feature line, then I can create the profile, export it to xml and import it back in. Now, I am unsure of the next step. You say that the importing will create the alignment, but where does it get the elevations from? I'm on a deadline (of course) so if you could help quickly, that would be great. Thanks! -- Ed St.Martin /Cadsultant/ 505.299.7038

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report