Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Alignment Offsets

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
350 Views, 9 Replies

Creating Alignment Offsets

Has anyone created any efficient tools for creating alignment offsets for Curb, LOG, SW, etc. This would be a great conceptual planning tool for C3D.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There's nothing for creating multiple offsets at this time, but you could (a) write something pretty quick in VBA, or (b) just use Offset. Offset offsets the entire alignment (with curves if there are any) and makes a pline on the current layer. -- James Wedding, P.E. Technology Manager Associate Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D2005
Message 3 of 10
JoaoMM

Hi!!. When I offset using AutoCAD offset command, the offset of spiral divides in a lot of entities. Is possible to list the length of an offset of a spiral?? In Land/Civil exists a command to offset an alignment. Thanks.
Message 4 of 10
JoaoMM

In Civil3d2006 is possible to offset alignments and extract information about an offset of a clothoid??

Thanks

Joao
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Jo, Theoretically, a perfect offset of a clothoide curve does not exist and all a CAD program or a construction crew can do is to approximate the clothoide by a chain of straight lines or arc segments. In LDT, spiral offset was easier to do because spirals were polylines anyway. Not the case in Civil3D. Nevertheless, by using AutoCAD offset command in Civil 3D you are getting the same quality of results as you did in LDT. Try exploding the offset once and examine the spiral segment for length. "JoaoMM" wrote in message news:305609.1111493277864.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi!!. When I offset using AutoCAD offset command, the offset of spiral > divides in a lot of entities. Is possible to list the length of an offset > of a spiral?? In Land/Civil exists a command to offset an alignment. > Thanks.
Message 6 of 10
JoaoMM

Hi Rad!!

I know that theoretically, a perfect offset a clothoid curve does not exist. In land I have a possibility to extract information about a "offset of clothoid" and to manage them (tangent to entity, attach, etc). In land, i confirmed, and the Length of a offset of a spiral is Length=l-al^2/4A^2 where:

a=2*distance to offset
A=parameter of a initial clothoid
l=length of initial clothoid

Sometimes I have my alignment defined with a "offset to a clothoid" and king of information is useful.In Civil3D I think that is not possible to manage and extract information about this kind of entities??

Thanks

Joao
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I can't remember if it is still there in 2006, but in 2004 there is a command on the Alignments pull down menu called "Create Offsets..." This works really well for what you are looking for.
Message 8 of 10
JoaoMM

In CIVIL3D ??????

Thanks..
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

No, Joao - in either Land or Civil.

--

Don Reichle
"King Of Work-Arounds"
"The only thing worse
than training your staff,
and having them leave is -
not training your staff,
and having them stay."
Courtesy Graphics Solution Providers
--------------------------------------
LDT-2K4/C3D-2K6 Trial
AMD64 3200+
XPPro 32bit SP2
1GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce FX 52600 128MB
Western Digital Raptor 10K-rpm HD

wrote in message news:4931740@discussion.autodesk.com...
In CIVIL3D ??????

Thanks..
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Hi,

In Civil 3D with the available alignment APIs, this is a very easy item to
program.
The necesasry code is:

Set NewAlignment = AlignmentOhject.Offset Distance
With NewAlignment
.Layer = "WhateverLayer"
.... other setings as desired
.Update
End With

It could be included as a feature of an upgrade to our Advanced Road Design
program, - but as it is not needed by ARD there is no high priority to write
the code to do it.

Also, you have to consider whether Civil 3D actually needs to be able to
draw offsets as the plotting of the road comes from the corridor object.
--

Laurie Comerford
CADApps
www.cadapps.com.au
wrote in message news:4929553@discussion.autodesk.com...
I can't remember if it is still there in 2006, but in 2004 there is a
command on the Alignments pull down menu called "Create Offsets..." This
works really well for what you are looking for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report