Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a TIN of a Planar Surface

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
superchicken15
10857 Views, 3 Replies

Creating a TIN of a Planar Surface

I'm new to CAD and I am probably missing something very simple, I can't seem to create a planar surface that shows up in the toolspace as a TIN.

Some background, I have a TIN of a pile of dirt that I created from a point cloud (it shows up in the toolspace under the surface section). I also have a plane that intersects that dirt pile which indicates ground level. I want to be able to calculate the volume of the dirt pile by creating a volume TIN with the ground plane and pile TIN, but the ground plane does not show up in the toolspace under the surface section so I can't use it to create a volume TIN. I created the plane with the planar button in the ribbon and manually lined it up with the pile.

How can I convert this plane that is clearly in my project but not in the list of surfaces in the toolspace into a TIN to use in a volume TIN? Am I going about this the correct way?

I'm running Civil 3d 2013 and you'll probably have to explain things like I'm 5 because I'm not familiar with the interface yet. Any help is appreciated Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mathewkol
in reply to: superchicken15

You need a polyline or feature line at your plane elevation. Then add it to a new surface as a breakline.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 4
superchicken15
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks mathewk, using a pline around the plane did the trick! 

Message 4 of 4

Another way is to draw a classic "Coon" plane surface (command _EDGESURF), then exploding it, and finally adding the resulting quad 3Dfaces to the surface definition: here's in white colour.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report