Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Surface from an ArcGIS TIN File

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
9741 Views, 9 Replies

Creating a Surface from an ArcGIS TIN File

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of working between ArcGIS and Civil 3D in terms of surface creation. IE If I was to create a surface in ArcGIS as a TIN surface, is there any way besides exporting to an ESRI ArcGRID that I would be able to read that TIN file within Civil 3D? If I were to create a 3D SHP file of the contours, will I be able to rebuild the surface from the 3D SHP file in Civil 3D? Any suggestions on the benefits of ArcGIS versus Civil 3D for creating surfaces?

Thanks,
Jason Hill
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

ArcGIS is good at displaying pre-made surface data but it is not nearly as
well equiped to create surface data from scratch. If you want to model a DEM
then ArcGIS can do the job as well as C3D but if you want to create surface
models from road designs and grading then you just don't have the tools in
ArcGIS.

As for exchanging surfce data between the 2, I don't think there is any way
to do it directly. You will have to export and import from one to the other.
Depending on the nature of the surface in ArcGIS you might get better
results using the contours vs. a grid, albeit not the ideal way to create a
surface.

wrote in message news:5943733@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of working between ArcGIS
and Civil 3D in terms of surface creation. IE If I was to create a surface
in ArcGIS as a TIN surface, is there any way besides exporting to an ESRI
ArcGRID that I would be able to read that TIN file within Civil 3D? If I
were to create a 3D SHP file of the contours, will I be able to rebuild the
surface from the 3D SHP file in Civil 3D? Any suggestions on the benefits of
ArcGIS versus Civil 3D for creating surfaces?

Thanks,
Jason Hill
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Jason,

What I did to utilize ArcGIS was to export the contours that I selected in ArcGIS. What this did was to allow me to bring them into Civil3D as 3-Dimensional contour lines. From here you can create a surface, then under the Definition drop down, right-click Contours and add. I will attach a word document that I used to import from GIS. There is a downfall though, the files size becomes very large based on the area you are looking at. If you have any questions, let me know.

The file refers to videos for the import into Civil3D; email me and I will send them to you.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Hi,

Any chance you can send a link to the videos for import into Civil3D? 

Much thanks!

-Charles

Message 5 of 10
neilyj666

Unless the contour intervals are very small then contours are probably the worst method of building a Civil surface. Also the smaller the interval the larger the surface files become. If the contour intervals are say 2m or 5 feet then what happens in between? Is the surface linear or are there undulations that are not picked up by the contour interval.

A lot will depend on the end use of the surface- a hydrological catchment study won't need to be as accurate as one that forms the basis for contractors earthworks payments.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 10
KirkNoonan

Once you have the surface data in a shapefile, you can easily import it into C3D by clicking the dropdown next to surfaces on the home tab. Be advised, that if you are importing large amounts of Lidar data, that your surface will be quite large.

GIS Surface.png

Message 7 of 10
Hidden_Brain

you can convert the arcgis tin to its edges (triangles), export the edges shp and import into C3D, from which you can rebuild the tin using the edges as breaklines.
Message 8 of 10
TerryDotson

The only way I'm aware of to maintain the existing triangles is to export using the UNGENERATETIN NET option, then process that file manually (entering coordinates and drawing faces) or import it directly into a Civil3D TinSurface with a gizmo like this.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks for the reply and info.
I have a DEM raster which I can use in ERSI ArcMap to creat shapefiles which can then be used in ArcScene to create 3D drawings.
What is the best way to quickly create a civil 3D surface from the DEM or a shp file?
I'm not super concerned about resolution and detail but would like to have a general 3d surface that I can then manipulate.
Much thanks for any advice!
Message 10 of 10
KirkNoonan

One possible answer is 3 posts above yours in this discussion thread

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report