Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a surface from a DWG file

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
chisamba
4126 Views, 16 Replies

Creating a surface from a DWG file

Good day all, I have a topo drawing, dwg format, it shows a hilly region through which I'm to design a road. I'd like to convert it to a 3D surface that I can be able to work on it in Civil3D.

Any suggestions, help or a step to step guide will be greatly appreciated

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: chisamba

Cant open the drawing, but that could be quite a bill to fll. I suggest doing some tutorials.

In the prospector add a surface to the surface collection, expand the node, and start adding data.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
Neilw_05

After reviewing the dwg it is apparent that the only useful data are the contours and perhaps the points. The contours have all been exploded down to line elements so the first step is to rejoin them into polylines. Use the PEDIT command with Multiple option to convert and join the contours to polylines. Next create an empty surface object and add the contours. Evaluate the resulting surface by comparing the 2 sets of contours. You can try adding the point objects and see how they affect the contours.

Note: some of the exploded contour lines have a thickness applied to them. Use QSELECT to select them and set the thickness value to zero in the properties.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 17
Pointdump

C,

You'll have to unlock several layers before isolating the contour segments and then you can use the PEDIT command to join the contour segments into 3D Polylines. Neil's workflow is good. 

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 17
sboon

Contours are only a representation of the surface data.  Whoever provided the drawing should have the real model.  Contact them and ask for a TIN, which will accurately represent the original surface.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 17
antoniovinci

Basing on your contours, here's a 3D model of the site (orbitable with a WebGL browser like Chrome, Firefox or IE11):

http://novarese.url.ph/autodesk/chisamba

Moreover I attach the DEM out of those isolines, sir.

Message 7 of 17
Pointdump
in reply to: antoniovinci

Antonio,

That's cool! How'd you do that?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 17
neilyj666

How is that done? It orbits great on my phone. ..☺

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 9 of 17
chisamba
in reply to: sboon

Its a little complicated, I'm studying civil engineering in China, and this is a design homework. Our teacher gave us the topo dwg, I doubt he'll have a TIN file, no one in the class is using civil3D to do the project, but its definitely still worth asking.

Message 10 of 17
chisamba

thanks a lot, that is really cool!! 

Message 11 of 17
chisamba
in reply to: Neilw_05

created the surface quite alright, now to figure out how to work with it, very new to Civil3D..

Thanks 

Message 12 of 17
antoniovinci

Dear Chisamba,

as stated by Joe, you should train hardly with the official Civil tutorials, just because it is a major program, not an easy toy.

@ Dave & Neil
To get info about the 3D model, please press the I icon on the lower left corner of the canvas.

Message 13 of 17
chisamba

Created the surface. Its not as detailed as the original, but it'll do. I'm new to Civil3D, so now to figure out how to work with the surface. Thanks a lot 🙂

Message 14 of 17
Neilw_05

I've seen your comments about QGIS before but I never took the time to investigate it. Your very nice model got me to finally look at it and I am excited by what I see.

Currently I have been provding our GIS layers to our staff in KMZ files which they load into Google Earth. The downside to this approach is I have to recreate the KMZ files and have the users reload it whenever the data changes. QGIS may provide a better vehicle for distributing the data.

One Kudo for you Antonio.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 15 of 17
neilyj666

I might have guessed it was done in QGIS given the author of the post...:)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 16 of 17
antoniovinci
in reply to: neilyj666

Nice words, gentlemen.

Maybe we've just noticed it, but if you click on the model, you get the full XYZ coords of that point.

Message 17 of 17
tendo07

antoniovinci,  can you give us link Civil tutorials ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report