Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a specific contour on a surface....

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mmcmanus
2491 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a specific contour on a surface....

I am using Civil 3D 2011 and wondering how to create just one contour on an existing surface at a specific elevation. I need to show where floodwaters would get to at a specific elevation so that contour would be the easiest way if I can contour the surface with just 1 elevation. I don't want to have to create 0.1' contours all over the site and then remove all the extras.

Any ideas?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: mmcmanus

This can be achieved easily using User Defined Contours - can't explain further as not in front of C3D but googling or using C3D help should point you in the right direction e.g. http://newsletters.hagerman.com/newsletters/ebul88-CIVIL.htm

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 9
scottn

Did you find a way to make this work? I'm trying to do the same.

Message 4 of 9
mmcmanus

Yes, The user defined elevation worked fine. I don't have C3D open now so I can't relay the exact steps but go through help and it will explain it. You can use 1 elevation or a range as needed.

Message 5 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: scottn

Hi,

the point is to create a user-specified contour in the dtm-opens (plus activation of visibility in the surface-style)

...and that's what the above item links to.

What's not working for you?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 9
scottn

Actually have a much quicker solution..Just have to extract objects from a surface.

Message 7 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: scottn

Hi,

>> Actually have a much quicker solution..Just have to extract objects from a surface.

What objects do you extract if you don't have any object on a specific height?

E.g. if you have contours every 1m, but you want to have a specific contour at 239.762m, any "extract objects from surface" will not help as long as you don't have a userspecific contour at this elevation.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 9
scottn
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Didn't need elevation to the nearest 1/1000 of a meter! In this case I need to nearest foot. Regardless set your contour interval say to nearest 10th and extract required contour elevation. It can be 5', 1', or 1/10 intervatal. Doesn't matter, change your interval, extract required object, change interval back. Very quick!

Message 9 of 9
mathewkol

User-defined contours are quicker and they're dynamic. For future reference.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report