Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a proposed surface

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
wbrustle
560 Views, 3 Replies

creating a proposed surface

The engineers at my company digitize proposed contours in a drawing and then they want me to create a surface out of the contours....the contours usually are 2 foot contours with areas that the software tends to translate based on the contours that I selected to create the surface.....I then usually need to create a profile, which does not look accurate compared to the contours, such as low spots etc...............my question is since the engineers at my work do not how to use the software, and I am not an engineer, making the profile look a certain way sometimes needs to be tweeked by me....any suggestions as to how to alter the proposed surface? Hopefully someone else can relate to this question and has any suggestions. I am pretty sure that feature lines cannot cross contours that I have selected to create the surface?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jay_B
in reply to: wbrustle

Have you seen and tried the suggestions on Brian Hailey's blog for creating surfaces from contours?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 4
Joe-Bouza

they have to provide you with all the interstitial data for HP and LP that need to be added to the surface definition as point data. If they are digitzing across breaks (curbs, walls, et-al) that too needs to be defined.

If the profile looks like crap thats because the data they gave you is crap. You know what they say about putting lipstick on a pig, right? ....If they aren't going to have you design it, Demand more data.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
Joe-Bouza

Not to mention swale threads and ridge lines, but I will. The fact is if you define all this digitizing is moot. I have my hands full with these type - they just wont let go. then I have to watch them update a surface. ouch! thats when the drag becomes evident. And to make matters worse they only want the surface for qty, so there are no pipe networks either.... I watched them take a loooooong time to update a structure table. Someday

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report