Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new Drawing

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
321 Views, 5 Replies

Creating a new Drawing

I am trying to start a new Civil 3D drawing with the attached drawing below. My only experience is from doing the tutorials and watching a few webinars. The only problem is the tutorials don't provide a lesson for a drawing like the one attached.

I don't know where to start.

My first thought is to make sure everything is at the right elevations, create plines out of everything and then....

Please let me know what would be the proper workflow for a drawing like this would be.

How can I attached a drawing? I have tried to zip it and attach it but it is still to big.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Anonymous

No attachment

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

i have tried to attache it, but it is too big. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that? I tried to zip it, and still was to big

Message 4 of 6
rl_jackson

Save the drawing as a DWT and place it within the default template folder c:\users\name\autodesk\appdata\local\autodesk\C3D version\enu\template

Then when you select New, select your template and it will use that to start a new drawing.

If you what this to be used each time the go to OPTIONS (OP) and set that as the QNEW template for drawings on the FILES tab, TEMPLATE SETTINGS folder.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I couldn't attach a drawing or a dwt, so i took some snap shots.

What i have is a topo map, that is not on the right elevations. What would be the best way to get started on this drawing?

What I did, was made all the contours on the topo map plines and joined each one to itself to make a single pline for each contour. Then i put each pline on the right elevation, Then i created a surface and made a model. Is there a better way to do this? Is there another way to do it? Was my plan of action right?

Message 6 of 6
jmayo-EE

When I get data like this the first thing I do is try to call the surveyor and request that they send an xml file of the surface. This would save me the time of re-creating their work.

If I had contours and had to build a surface I would start a new file with a Civil 3D template. I would insert the contour file as a block and explode it. I would explode the contour objects so they become plines. I would add these objects to a surface definition as contour objects minimizing flat areas and hope the surface looked good enough to use.

If this is an aerial survey you should have more data that you really need like points and breaklines (3dpolys).

If you have this data

1. Set the surface definition to exclude elev zero.

2. Add the point blocks to the surface first. They are defined in the surface using the Drawing Objects option.

3. Add the contours. You will need these in the surface next.

3. Add the releveant breaklines. Careful, the bld 3dpolys are most likely the roof elev. If so build the surface w/o these line. Offset eack bld envelope .1units inside and onto a new layer. Isolate the outer bld lines and make them feature lines assigning elevations from the surface you created. This will be the bld grade line (where the dirt hits the bld). Now add all of the bld grade lines and roof lines to the surface and see the blds all pop up.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report