Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a ditch around a circular tank

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mkiker07
456 Views, 12 Replies

Creating a ditch around a circular tank

I am trying to create a ditch around a proposed clearwell layout. I am wanting to have a level grade around the clearwell slope down to a proposed ditch line.

Then have the opposite side of the ditch line grade to an existing ground surface at a 3:1 slope to allow regular mowing of the proposed grade. 

I have tried creating feature lines but I am not sure that is the solution.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: mkiker07

I'd probably use featurelines for this

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 13
mkiker07
in reply to: neilyj666

Is there a step process that you would recommend.

I created a feature line around the tank and assigned it the grade level elevation. I then created another feature line offset 5 feet from the tank and assigned it four elevations, making sure it slopes the same direction as the existing ground.

I then tried to Grade to Surface with the second feature line and it will not tie into the existing ground surface in certian areas. I cannot seem to fix it.

Message 4 of 13
doni49

@mkiker07 wrote:

I am trying to create a ditch around a proposed clearwell layout. I am wanting to have a level grade around the clearwell slope down to a proposed ditch line.

Then have the opposite side of the ditch line grade to an existing ground surface at a 3:1 slope to allow regular mowing of the proposed grade. 

I have tried creating feature lines but I am not sure that is the solution.

If you tell us WHY you feel this way, we might be able to help you solve that issue.  I think I agree with NeilyJ.  Featurelines would be my preferred method unless you've got something that we don't know about.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 13
doni49

@mkiker07 wrote:

Is there a step process that you would recommend.

I created a feature line around the tank and assigned it the grade level elevation. I then created another feature line offset 5 feet from the tank and assigned it four elevations, making sure it slopes the same direction as the existing ground.

I then tried to Grade to Surface with the second feature line and it will not tie into the existing ground surface in certian areas. I cannot seem to fix it.

Screenshots and/or posting data samples will help anyone here to be able to try and help you.  Otherwise, all we can do is guess.

What's happening at those locations where it "doesn't tie in"?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 13
mkiker07
in reply to: doni49

Here are a couple screenshots. I set elevations from surface originally with the second feature line offset from the clearwell and then set the grades at a slop from south to north to flow the same direction as existing ground.

Message 7 of 13
neilyj666

As a first step, check that there are no zero (or other spurious) levels on the featurelines.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
Neilw_05

It appears to me the grading is having a problem finding a solution in the area where it sharply transitions from fill to cut. Note how the transition occurs at a contour. Looking at that contour I wonder if it has been smoothed. I would look for anomalies in the surface in that area. The surface seems to have a warp in that area all the way down the hill. You might also try smoothing the surface there or perhaps manually draw some contours across the warped area and add them to the existing surface definition to see if that helps.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 13
mkiker07
in reply to: Neilw_05

There is no zero elevations in the feature line. Is it possible to smooth a surface in one area?

I could also send a copy of this file for a better look.

Message 10 of 13
neilyj666

It would be useful to get the file as it should provide some clues as to what's going on

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
mkiker07

I can email it to you or is there a more preferred way to send it to you?

Message 12 of 13
neilyj666

can you post here?

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
mkiker07

It is saying the file is too large. The file is currently 12344 KB. Even if I try sipping the file it won't allow me to attach it here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report