Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Created profile from file but cannot create Profile Report

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1501 Views, 12 Replies

Created profile from file but cannot create Profile Report

I am working C3D 2012.  I have a proposed alignment and profile design by another firm that I had to tranfer into C3D.    I had no problem getting the horizontal alignment to display from a text file.  I tried to do the same with the profile by using the 'create a text file and create the profile from file' command.  I got the POB, PI's, and POE to display.  I then defined the VC.  I wanted to verifiy that the profile was indeed accurate compared to what we were provided.  So I tried to execute a profile report PVI Station and Curve Report - I keep getting an error that "No FG profiles in dwg".

I know the Proposed profile is indeed set to proposed in the properties.  I have noticed that the icon next to the profile I create from the text file is different than the profiles created from scratch.

Is there a way to convert this profile to be recognized as a FG profile?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

is the profile not supplied to you as a dwg file?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

No.  We were provided alignment and profile reports.  Which is just fine.

I am a little frustrated that I cannot generate a report from a profile that displays on the screen.  It shouldn't matter that I used a text file containing stations and elevations to use the command 'create a profile from file'.  The profile is still associated with the alignment - it should be able to create a report but I kept getting 'No FG Profiles in dwg' error.

I had to get that project out the door, so I ended up creating a new profile from scratch and traced the PI's.  I should not have had to do that... 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Hi, just wanted to know how u created a horizontal alignment from a text file........i use civil 3D 2013 and i can't seem to find such an option

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

A PNEZD comma delimited file has a .txt extension.  If you have an alignment report for a horizontal or vertical alignment, you can simply enter the point name, northing, easting, elevation, and description in a text file.  Each point gets it's own line.  You can import that information into C3D by going to the Insert tab on the ribbon and selecting import points from file.  The import points window will pop-up.  It will ask you to specify the point file format.  That is where you select PNEZD or PNE or what ever.  I prefer the comma delimited over the space delimited....but it all breaks down to preference.  If you where doing a horizontal alignment, you would pick the PNE (point name, northing, easting) format in your text file.  I use notepad to edit these files.

Message 6 of 13
troma

I know it's a bit late now, but I think this method would have helped with your original question.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

My orignial issue was with the alignment report generator function, not generating an alignment.

Message 8 of 13
troma

Your original question:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a way to convert this profile to be recognized as a FG profile?

That's what I provided.  I haven't tested it, but it sounds like exactly what you wanted.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

My apoligies.  I didn't realize that 'this method' was refering to a hyperlink...I thought you were refering to the creating profile from a text file response.  Sorry...I misunderstood.

I took a quick peek at that...it does seem like a legit response!  I will try that next time.

Message 10 of 13
troma

Sorry. I thought the link was obvious. I must spend too much of my life online. No worries.

Mark Green

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks alot, i had been looking for 'create alignment from file' option the way u can use the 'create profile from file' option. Haven't used the software for long so i'm still figuring out my way through some stuff :-)........ Now, once u import the points i'm guessing u create a best fit aligmnent, right?  A profile issue......I came up with a road profile from the setting out data n I would now like to put the existing ground profile on the same profile view, how do i go about it...........thanks in advance.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

I would only use the best fit alignment option if I was creating an existing alignment from survey data...and even then, you would probably have to do some hand editing to get it to fit propertly.

The method I described was to recreate an alignment using an alingment report to enter the PI information.  I didn't go into the next steps to finaizle the alignment...once you have the PI's in place, you can draw a line from point to point, then create an alignment from objects (make sure to uncheck the 'add curves between tangents' in the create alignment from objects window).  Then in the geometery editor, add the curves according to the specs in the alignment report.  All your values will then match the values on the report (if it doesn't...you need to find out why).

As for displaying the profiles....you first need a horizontal alignment and an existing surface.  You can then create the existing surface profile from the horizontal alignment.  Then you need to associated the proposed vertical alignment with the horizontal alignment.  There are more than one way to do this...I start by displaying a profile view of the existing ground, then I build the proposed alignment inside that profile view.  There is a lot to say about this process...I recommend watching a training video or reading the tutorials in the provided help funciton.  I work in WI...WisDOT has provided C3D training videos for free...but they designed to work with the custom WisDOT support files (fonts, line types, layers, templates, ect).    

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/business/engrserv/trainingcivil3d/index.htm

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks alot, i had points along an alignment centreline and just wanted to recreate it in civil 3D and had been looking for a way to import the file, i followed your steps n it worked and tried creating a best fit alignment but it kept overshooting outside my points so i guess i have to tweak some places manually........both profiles imported......other than that everything is fine............thanks n sorry for derailing your post, hope u found a solution.

Regards.

For your problem, u can also check out this Thread

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report