Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create surface from tin 0 elevation shows in profile data

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
intoit
1023 Views, 12 Replies

Create surface from tin 0 elevation shows in profile data

I created a surface from an older tin created in LDD. i can id any intersection in the tin and get an elevation but when i create a profile from the surface i get 0 min and 0 max elevations. I know this is something simple that i am missing, but if it is right in front of me, i can't see it.

thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: intoit

Can you post it ??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 13
intoit

I sent the tin and alignment file in 2007 format to a colleage and it workd fine. To me, this appears to be a glitch in 2011 - "Create Surface From Tin".

C3D 2011 SP1

Win 7Pro x64

6gb ram

Message 4 of 13
jmayo-EE

I do not have an issue with that command in 2011. Is the Tin file from LDD? Do you have all of the other files to go with the tin like the pnt file?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I would also wonder if the path to the tin changed since the import process.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
intoit

Yes, the tin is from LDD. And yes, all the other files are with the tin. (see SOG1.zip in my last post)

I do not have an issue with quick profile, it works fine, it may even be an alignment issue, I can create a straight line next to my align and get a correct profile. I just recreated my alignment and it comes up with 0 elevations on the profile data.

Message 7 of 13
intoit

A little slip-up in my last post. I have been using a file sent from a coleague built in 2009 version. Everything works fine. I have re-created the process in 2011 and get the same results. When trying to create a profile from a surface created from a tin, the alignment files don't work (only 0 elevations). Quick profile works fine.

Message 8 of 13
Jeff_M

Can you post your alignment? I drew an alignment within the surface boundary and it profiles just fine.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 13
intoit
in reply to: Jeff_M

Alignment as requested.

Message 10 of 13
Jeff_M

Your alignment has a Radius of 0 for the second spiral-curve-spiral. C3D doesn't like 0 length 'anything' in an alignment. This is what is keeping the profile from being created correctly. Fix that R=0 and the profile will automaticaly show up correct.

EESignature
Message 11 of 13
jmayo-EE

I don't think C3D likes that alignment. I would try to recreate it. I don't know if it's the curve sequence or the pseudo nodes that mapclean found on the exploded entities. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
intoit
in reply to: Jeff_M

You are correct my good man. Thank-you so much. I would have pulled out what little hair i have left trying to find that one.

Message 13 of 13
Jeff_M

Glad I could help!

If you find a response which answers your question, please be sure to accept it as the solution. This will help future searchers quickly find answers to their own questions. Thanks!

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report