Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create sheets generates duplicate point groups

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
DougB
510 Views, 1 Reply

Create sheets generates duplicate point groups

Has anyone run across this in C3D2012 (I have yet to test this in 2013)... we have a master C3D template that includes a number of point filters (let say 20 of them) and a number of layouts (again, let say 20 of them) to accommodate our two sheet sizes.  Let me say before you all start verbally abusing me for this setup, is that I have been instructed to create this... but I do not agree with it.

Here is the issue that I am running into, when the Plan Production tools use a layout to create plan and profile sheets from the same master template that is used to initially create the file, the whole process will duplicate each point group 150 times for every group (see attached).  So, what I ended up with is 20 point groups X 150.  In my example, I ended up with 3000 duplicate point groups.

The end result is a file that is somewhat unusable do to the number of point groups.  The other issue is now that all of these point groups are in the file you are unable to delete them all at once without "crashing" C3D.  So you are left to deleting a handful at time.  It is also best if you turn UNDO off while you do it.

I have been able to duplicate this in multiple files; however, from the same master template.  As a test I did create separate templates (which are pretty bare bones) for the plan production and all works well.  Therefore, there is either an issue with C3D and Plan Production and point groups or it is our template.

I personally think there is something running amuck with C3D, due to the handful of other threads and because we experienced this on a smaller level in previous versions.

I am not yet done testing this.  I would really like to nail down (as best I can) what is generating the 150 duplicates/ point group name to see if there is a way "around" this, but I thought I'd run this by the Group to see if anyone else has encountered this and at the time dismissed it as... oh that was weird.

Currently, I am unable to share the template, but it shouldn't be too difficult to re-create.  Take any template, add some point groups to, add a plan and profile sheet to one of the layouts, create a new file from this template, finally create plan and profile sheets from the layout in the very same template.

Thanks for your input,

Doug 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
DougB
in reply to: DougB

here is an update to my point group delema... after further testing i can no longer duplicate the issue.  either SP2 resolved the issue without me knowing it, or i am simply losing it.

Doug

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report