Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create reference text to a sub item of an object.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
atklump
595 Views, 7 Replies

Create reference text to a sub item of an object.

Using C3d 2013.  I could not find this information anywhere in tutorials, discussion boards, or blogs. 

Specifically, I am looking for a way to place the deflection angle of the PI of an Alignment in the label of a structure part that references said alignment.  But PIs aren't an option when I select Reference Text type.  Common sense tells me it would be under Alignments, but none of the PI data is an option of the Contents' Text Component Editor.  I couldn't find it under any of the other Reference Text types either.  I can pull the station value from the referenced alignment, is there a way to get it to tell me the deflection angle at the PI it sits on?  Or even the difference in the instantaneous direction just before and just after the part?

I know listing the deflection angle of a PI is possible, as I have seen it in several examples of labeling alignments.  I just want to place it in the label of other objects.

An added bonus to who can tell me how to display LT (to represent left) and RT (to represent right) when the deflection is positive or negative respectively.

Thanks,

Adam

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: atklump

Sounds like its time for an expression

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 8
atklump
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Ok... A little guidance on what the expression would look like and pointing to the documentation on how it's implemented would be beneficial.  I'm not familiar with how CAD does expressions.

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
Joe-Bouza

After further review Delta is and OOTB parameter for alignment labels.

deflection.PNG

As for expressions:on the settings tab inside most label styles the bottom node is expressions. Here you can create pretty much any mathmatical operation on the data of a given c3d object. You could create 2 label components for left or right. using an if statement for plus or minus you can set the label height to zero for one condition and plot height for another condition ther by controling which side actually plots

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 8
atklump

Well we're starting to get somewhere, but from the documentation I've read, C3D labels only recognize expressions of the entity (or sub entity) you are wanting labeled (i.e. Alignment labels can only recognize expressions of Major Stations, Minor Stations... Station Offsets, Lines, Curve, Spirals... or any of the Expressions listed under the Alignment folder in the settings tab). 

I want a pipe network part to display the alignment expression.

Message 6 of 8
Joe-Bouza

atklump, You have commited a DG no no. you have double posted Smiley Wink

I answered that question in you MTEXT field post

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 8
atklump

Technically the two posts started referencing two completely different things (mtext fields in one and C3D labels in the other)... one just strayed into the others territory.  Sorry, though... I am new to the discussion group community.

I'd still like to know how to do it as mtext with fields, if it can be done.

Message 8 of 8
Joe-Bouza

You'll catch on. we were all new at some point.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report