Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create points from x, y coordinates within attached database

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
459 Views, 14 Replies

Create points from x, y coordinates within attached database

My drawing and cogo generated points do not match in the same drawing. 

Example: 

Im using an assumed coordinate system, lets say a base value of 5000,5000. I overlay a site plan (using the SW property corner as 5000,5000). When I create cogo points for layout and view thier N/E values im seeing Northing and Eastings in the 100s. However, when I export the points, they are within the same coordinate system as the 5000 series. 

Also, vice versa, Ive imported points and they are displayed within the drawing on a different coordinate system as well.

I assume this is a display issue within 3D. 

Thank you for any help on this. 

Jeff

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
doni49
in reply to: Anonymous

1) What version? 

2) Can you post your dwg, attached site plan and the database (zip up the folder that contains the survey DB) for someone to look?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

doni

The drawing is too large to attach. Thank you anyway

Message 4 of 15
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

doni

The drawing is too large to attach. Thank you anyway

There are usuaully things you can do to get your file size down to something that CAN be uploaded.  But if you can't you can always upload it to dropbox and then share a link for us to use.

In this case, the sole purpose of giving us the xref is so that we can see where it comes in relative to your other file/points. 

1. Copy the xref so that you have a backup. 
  2. Open the xref and draw a rectangle (polyline) around the site.  This way when we open the other file, this rectangle will show us where the xref comes in.
  3. Purge EVERYTHING from the file.  Do purge all SEVERAL times until it will no longer allow you to purge anything.
  4. perform steps 1-3 on the other dwg file too just to be sure.
  5. Save both files and upload.  After doing the upload, you can restore your backup copies.

Now you should have something you can post.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

See the following link  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwflym2hkimi9nj/Jeff-Empire.zip?dl=0

The file includes the follow:

1. dwg

2. Screenshot of the Cogo coordinate values within 3D (Northing/Easting) (notice the coordinate range)

3. The exported text file (notice coordinate range)

Thank you for looking into this.

Message 6 of 15
Jeff_M

Your drawing's C3D unit settings are set to Inches. Change this to Feet and the coordinates will then make sense.

8-29-2014 11-23-24 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thank you.

Im trying to teach myself 3D and its difficult to find everything when youve been using LDD for YEARS. 

Message 8 of 15
doni49

Jeff,

I'd still like to see a copy of your survey DB.  I just opened your dwg and imported your point file again (creating a new survey DB in the process).

C3D wanted to know what to do about the existing points that were numbered the same.  I told it to overwrite them.

Here's a screen shot of what I see after doing that.

JeffPoints.png

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 15
doni49

@Jeff_M wrote:

Your drawing's C3D unit settings are set to Inches. Change this to Feet and the coordinates will then make sense.

Nice find Jeff. 

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 15
doni49

@Jeff_M wrote:

8-29-2014 11-23-24 AM.png

Jeff,

If that's the case, why didn't I get the same results as OP did?  I downloaded his file and without making any changes, I imported his points and the coordinates were correct.

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 15
Jeff_M

@Anonymous wrote:

.....its difficult to find everything when youve been using LDD for YEARS. 

Trust me, I know! I used DCA, ADCADD, Softdesk, & LDD 1-3 before jumping to C3D in the 2008 product cycle.

FYI, that Inches option in the C3D settings is normally NOT there. It usually is there when using a dwg file provided by an architect. This is just one reason I will always create a new drawing, using my DWT, and then Xref in any outside drawings. 

EESignature
Message 12 of 15
Jeff_M
in reply to: doni49

doni49 wrote:

Jeff,

If that's the case, why didn't I get the same results as OP did?  I downloaded his file and without making any changes, I imported his points and the coordinates were correct.

Just a guess, but it may be due to using a Survey DB vs just importing the points.

EESignature
Message 13 of 15
doni49

hmm.  The only way I've ever done it is with a survey DB.  I never even thought of the possibility that he was importing directly to his dwg file.

Thanks.  That's what I love about this forum -- I learn something new everyday!

Don Ireland

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

doni,

The exported text file "1074 Amsterdam.txt" were created and exported from that drawing. 

Jeff,

Yes, that was the problem. Once I found the drawings settings, I switched from inches to feet, it solved it.

I know this was a remedial issue but thank you for all your help. 

Message 15 of 15
Jeff_M

Jeff, now that we got your initial issue resolved, let's get the other one that you didn't mention, fixed as well. Your dwg file is HUGE for the small amount of data in it. You never did mention which version of C3D you are using, so the fix is either built-in to C3d (2015) or available as a hotfix (2013 & 2014). The reason the file is so big is due to orphaned DGN linetypes, which means this drawing was originally worked on in Microstation and saved as a dwg file.

So if you are using 2013 or 2014, download the HOTFIX and follow the instructions in the Readme to purge these styles.

For 2015, this is built into the Purge command. You will need to run the command twice, the first time checking the Automatically purge orphaned data check box, closing the command and the reissuing it. The linetypes will now be purgeable, but may need to be purged a few times to get the nested linetypes.

After doing this in 2015, your drawing went from over 10mb down to under 2mb in size.

Have a good weekend!

Jeff

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report