Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREATE POINT BY ANGLE & DISTANCE 'SS

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2811 Views, 5 Replies

CREATE POINT BY ANGLE & DISTANCE 'SS

Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble setting points by angle and distance method.  In LDD, they had this really convenient way to do it by entering base point, backsight, angle and distance...  I can't seem to get it to allow me to enter my setup location (point number) and backsight (point number).  I realize this is the old school way of doing it, but when lowlifes steal your gps and total station, you are sometimes forced to use other, older, non-convenient methods of doing things.  If someone can walk me thru the steps and treat me like a very young child, I would greatly appreciate it.  I have read thru the other posts regarding this same step process, but I am still missing something.   And I would really like to use the side shots method.  If I can actually get it to do what I want it to, it advances my setup to the point I just set, like if you were running a traverse instead of shooting sprays.  Oh, and....  all of my angles are in degrees, minutes, and seconds.  Do I really have to use the format 87d47'13"?  What a pain in the butt...  When drawing a line by b&d, I can enter 87.4713. 

I am grateful for any help I can get.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
_Hathaway
in reply to: Anonymous

You will have to use the survey database and create a new network. Create a setup (occupy and backsight) then open the observation editor and it will allow you to enter in all your typical sideshot data. Sorry I can't spell it out in exact detail but this will work, I just checked it on my end using civil3d 2012.

Message 3 of 6
Jeff_M

You can use the 'AD transparent command to enter AngleDistance data which moves along the traverse. The very beginning of this command doesn't work how I epected it to, but Peter Funk explained it a few years ago...I'll see if I can locate that thread, but playing around with it with lines first so you see how it works should get you going. Entering angles as dd.mmss can be done, just be sure to change the drawing's ambient settings for angles to be in this format. (Angles, not direction)

Found the link to the thread I mentioned. It is a huge discussion but I think it explains it all 🙂

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 6
AllenJessup

You can use the Line by Angle command from the Draw menu on the Home Tab. To input the point numbers you need to use the 'PN transparent command. When asked for the first point enter 'PN then enter the number of the setup point, hit enter, put in the backsight point number. You'll then be asked the angle. It can be put in using the DD.MMSS format. 277°-25'-45" would be 277.2545. Then enter the distance. A little cumbersome but not too bad. BTW. This is the equivalent on the 'AD transparent command that Jeff mentioned.

I revised the Chronicle below for better visibility. You can also click on the title and watch it on the Chronicle site. ASJ

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

• On the survey tab of the prospector right click the survey database and set your working folder (typically where your project resides)
  • right click again and create new database
  • the tree should appear - right click networks and select new
  • the network tree should expand and now right click control points - enter your control points - dummy if you need and then rotate and translate later.
  • right click setups - new - enter data
  • right click setups - edit - a new dialogue opens
  • in that dialogue right click the set up line - edit observations
  •  another new dialogue - right click and select new - enter data in the appropriate column

this is slower and far more cumbersome than LDD, but is essentially how to do it

alternatively you can type out all you information in notepad, save it as an .fbk and import it that way - just make sure you have the appropriate .fbk format in you text file.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd throw the easiest way I know of doing this out there...

I also liked the way we used to be able to enter side shots... select reference line and be able to enter angle-distance-description-elevation and automatically move on to the next point without moving point of occupation.  Here's how I do it on the 2014 software....

From the 'Points' pulldown, select 'Create Points', the 'Create Points' dialogue box appears.  

Select 'Create Point - Manual', instead of clicking where you want new point, type 'ss for side shots.

The command box will ask you to select the reference line, or you can type 'P' and enter points as a reference line.

From that point on you can enter the angle-distance-description-elevation for as many side shots as you want.

This is the easiest way I've found to do it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report