Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create pipe network from multiple objects?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
rhdins
6186 Views, 10 Replies

Create pipe network from multiple objects?

Can I create a pipe network from multiple objects?

For example, I have 10 feature lines that I want to use to create one pipe network. Instead of creating 10 pipe networks one at a time, can I create one pipe network all at once?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: rhdins

You would need to join the feature lines into one first.

Use the Joinfeatures command.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 11
troma
in reply to: tcorey

That may not be possible, eg if the features aren't connected end-to-end but branching off in different directions, or not touching at all.

Another option is to create 10 networks, then merge them together.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 11
rhdins
in reply to: troma

The feature lines aren't connected.

That's what I've been doing, is creating multiple pipe networks, then merging them.  I would like to be able to select all 10 feature lines and create one pipe network.

Any other ideas?  Maybe it's just not possible?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 11
C3D_TomR

I like tcorey's suggestion. Add additional feature lines just to connect them for creating the network then joinfeatures. After you create the network from the single feature line, you can delete those dummy pipes from the network. Maybe mark the ones that need to be deleted with a magenta circle near the midpoint until the pipes are deleted from the new network.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 6 of 11
dean.petersen

I have run into this too.

If you have a lot of 3D polylines to convert you can use Map3D to write them out as a .shp file first with Object data attacehd, then use the Insert Tab / Import dropdown / 'Import GIS Data' command to read that .shp file in as a pipe network. If you are carefull about the object data you can even assign different pipe sizes to all the pipes as it is created.

Explode the 3D polyiles to 3D line segments first. Then attach object data for Internal diameter, wall thickness and description that matches the pipes you want to use from your Parts List. Also use the Z1 and Z2 properties as elevation data in the .shp file. MapExport to a .shp file, then import it into C3D as GIS Data. It all ends up as one network.

It is a bit of extra to do, but if you have a large number of pipes it will be reasonably efficient. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: dean.petersen

I prefer my solutionSmiley Wink

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 11
dean.petersen
in reply to: Jeff_M

Yep. That is nice. What does it cost?

Message 9 of 11
lim.wendy

Hey Dean,

I've taken your idea and compile it into a video for better illustration. Smiley Happy

http://www.screencast.com/t/JM0KBtov6c

See also: http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2014/ENU/index.html?url=filesCUG/GUID-05A18F1A-ADAE-4103-9317-2F46A5C...

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 10 of 11
Ntuthuko.
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hi Jeff

I've just used your Sincpac-C3D solution and the pipe creation process does not capture elevations from the surface, so all my pipes have zero grade. I could overcome this by converting my polylines to 3D polylines, I guess. My primary concern however is that when I select 'Apply Rules' on one of the created pipes I get an error about a macro not being able to run, and so the rules remain unapplied. Can you or anyone please help me with that?

All assistance is appreciated.

Regards,

Ntuthuko

[EDIT]

My apologies. Converting polylines to 3D polylines not only solves the pipe grade problem but also enables the successful execution of the 'Apply Rules' command. Problem solved!

Regards,

Ntuthuko

Message 11 of 11
drazen.galic
in reply to: Ntuthuko.

Hi Ntuthuko,

I saw several add-ins (like solution from Jeff_M -Sincpac), which correctly solve the problem of converting multiple Acad elements to Civil 3D pipe network. If you wish, take a look, to what we did (StudioARS - Urbano Visio). I am specially proud of one option, that we found a way to apply pipe and structure rules for the whole network at once (connected or not-connected). It is an option.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report