AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
2,063 Posts
171 Kudos
Post 1 of 4

Create Featureline From Alignment -- PROBLEM

124 Views, 3 Replies
01-23-2014 11:58 AM

I have an alignment that is 1877ft long.  I created a surface profile along the entire thing.  Then I used the Create Featureline From Alignment command to generate a featureline.  The resulting featureline that is listed in Toolspace is 0.04ft long and does not show up ANYWHERE in my drawing.  Just to confirm this last part, I created a new featureline style with a NEW layer assigned to that style (so there wouldn't be anything else on the layer).  Then I used the filter command to search for everything on that layer.  It didn't find anything.

What would cause this?

I'm using C3D 2012.

TIA!

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoLISP, VB and other AutoCAD customization

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Customization

Other Helpful links:
My File is too large to post or I can't post it due to privacy issues!
*Expert Elite*
2,063 Posts
171 Kudos
Post 2 of 4

Re: Create Featureline From Alignment -- PROBLEM

01-23-2014 01:15 PM in reply to: doni49

Ok.  I've found the featureline in my drawing but I'm still puzzled as to what's going on.  The alignment was originally created from a closed polyline.

The featureline goes from just shy of the END of the alignment (station 18+69.996) to the begining of the alignment (station 0+00).

What I'm trying to accomplish:  I want a featureline that is "draped" to the existing surface and I want it to be dynamically linked.  If the horizontal position changes, I want the elevations to update automatcally.

I know that I can create a featureline and use the "Elevations From Surface" tool.  But that's not dynamic (as best I can tell) and it only gets the elevations at the vertices.  I'd like for it to truly follow the ground line.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Customization

Other Helpful links:
*Expert Elite*
5,255 Posts
326 Kudos
Post 3 of 4

01-23-2014 05:57 PM in reply to: doni49

open the closed pline a tiny bit before creating the alignment (although I done it with closed and did not have the issue you describe)

Alignment>> surface profile, FL from alignment>> pick the surface profile.

This work excidedly well for parking lot grading using a control surface

You will have issues if the surface does not completlet cove the alignment. Same with layout profiles; not even 0.01 ft shy.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
2,063 Posts
171 Kudos
Post 4 of 4

01-24-2014 05:52 AM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

When I zoomed in really, really extremely close, :smileyhappy: I found that the ends were actually overlapping and this pline was NOT closed (but the original one from which this was offset WAS and IS closed).

So I fixed the overlap and closed it then recreated everything (alignment, profile and FL).  It's working now.

Don Ireland

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Customization

Other Helpful links:
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post