Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Featureline From Alignment -- PROBLEM

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
doni49
234 Views, 3 Replies

Create Featureline From Alignment -- PROBLEM

I have an alignment that is 1877ft long.  I created a surface profile along the entire thing.  Then I used the Create Featureline From Alignment command to generate a featureline.  The resulting featureline that is listed in Toolspace is 0.04ft long and does not show up ANYWHERE in my drawing.  Just to confirm this last part, I created a new featureline style with a NEW layer assigned to that style (so there wouldn't be anything else on the layer).  Then I used the filter command to search for everything on that layer.  It didn't find anything.

What would cause this?

I'm using C3D 2012.

TIA!

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
doni49
in reply to: doni49

Ok.  I've found the featureline in my drawing but I'm still puzzled as to what's going on.  The alignment was originally created from a closed polyline.

The featureline goes from just shy of the END of the alignment (station 18+69.996) to the begining of the alignment (station 0+00).

What I'm trying to accomplish:  I want a featureline that is "draped" to the existing surface and I want it to be dynamically linked.  If the horizontal position changes, I want the elevations to update automatcally.

I know that I can create a featureline and use the "Elevations From Surface" tool.  But that's not dynamic (as best I can tell) and it only gets the elevations at the vertices.  I'd like for it to truly follow the ground line.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 4
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: doni49

open the closed pline a tiny bit before creating the alignment (although I done it with closed and did not have the issue you describe)

Alignment>> surface profile, FL from alignment>> pick the surface profile.

This work excidedly well for parking lot grading using a control surface

You will have issues if the surface does not completlet cove the alignment. Same with layout profiles; not even 0.01 ft shy.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 4
doni49
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

When I zoomed in really, really extremely close, 🙂 I found that the ends were actually overlapping and this pline was NOT closed (but the original one from which this was offset WAS and IS closed).

So I fixed the overlap and closed it then recreated everything (alignment, profile and FL).  It's working now.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report