Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Curve between Two Lines or on Two Lines

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ad_crj_1234
3481 Views, 4 Replies

Create Curve between Two Lines or on Two Lines

Civil 3D 2013.

Problem with command from Home tab - Draw panel - Curves drop-down - Create Curves Between Two Lines OR Create Curve on Two Lines.

If you select the Degree option, it draws a zero length curve when you type in a valid number for degree of curve.  I have tried entering it in decimal format and as ##d##'.  NOTHING WORKS!

Is this a known problem?

Am I doing something wrong or can this be fixed?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BrianHailey
in reply to: ad_crj_1234

Degree of curvature is typically used in railroad layout. When laying out a rail curve, the surveyors will set up on the incoming tangent, string out a 100' tape, and turn it a specific angle to get the next point on the curve. They would then setup on that point, string out another 100', and then turn the same angle to get the next point. This angle that they turn to layout the curve is known as, "Degree of Curvature".

Is this what you are trying to do?

If it is, the command is broken and I'm seeing the same thing you are seeing. If it's not, you'll need to use a different method.

If you are on subscription, submit a support request so Autodesk knows this is an issue.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 5
ad_crj_1234
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks.

I have only worked in Mississippi, and we do use degree of curve for roadway work as well.  However, it's based on the "arc definition" which Civil 3D includes the capability to handle.

Regardless, I was just needing to confirm that the command was broken (and I was not doing anything wrong).  Sounds like that is the case.

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 5
SurveyorLee

Hey all.  As an "older surveyor" I do know a little about curves. From the earlier posts,

Degree of curve is the angle subtended by 100 feet of curve.  For an "arc definition" the distance is 100 feet on the arc.

For a chord definition curve, the 100 feet is along the chord.  There is also a general rule of thumb for staking the 100' intervals.  It works for railroad or highway curves.  As one person said once, it will create the straightest crooked line you have ever seen.

Surveyor Lee

Message 5 of 5
wfberry

In reality, the degree of curvature is just another way of expressing the Radius of the curve.  Just convert the degree of curve to a Radius and use that between 2 lines.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report