Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Cropped Surface from Dref?

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
AllenJessup
2567 Views, 29 Replies

Create Cropped Surface from Dref?

Can you create a cropped Surface from a Surface created by pasting Dreffed Surfaces.

I get an "Error creating cropped surface" message each time I try. The command line looks like this:

Command: CREATECROPSURFACE
Select first corner or [Object/Polygon]: O
Select objects: 1 found
Select objects:
Select point in the area to crop:
Point (616864.92,861180.44,0.00)

The Point is the point I picked inside the closed polyline I pick as an Object. The boundary of that area highlights showing it has accepted that as the cropping boundary. I have also tried tracing the polyline point by point. The command line then shows all the points I picked.

Working in 2014 SP-1.

Allen Jessup

Civil 3D 2012 SP 3 / IDSP 2014
Dell Precision T7400, Xeon CPU 3.16 GHz
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit,12 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 4600

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
AllenJessup
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw wrote:

I haven't tried Allens suggestion of pasting a paste into a new surface.

Well. It was really Mikes suggestion. I just confirmed it works. I now have a cropped Surface in a new drawing. From reading Help on the subject of Cropped Surfaces. It looks like there is still a link to the original surface but it doesn't work quite like a Dref. Also, since the cropping takes place from a pasted surface. You might have to go back a couple Surfaces and then bring any edits forward to initiate a change in the cropped Surface. I haven't tired it.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 30
AllenJessup
in reply to: doni49

@doni49 wrote:

It hadn't sunk in that you were promoting it -- in essence removing the dynamic link.

Thanks for helping me understand and sorry for hijacking your thread.

I'm not technically promoting. Only pasting into what we've been calling the dummy surface. A pasted surface should maintain a link to the original surface. I haven't figured out what the double pasting and cropping will do. Help suggests that a link is maintained between the cropped Surface an the Surface it was cropped from. Not exactly a Dref. I did notice that in the new drawing that not only was the cropped Surface create. But some of the original small Surfaces that the crop line crossed were also created in the new drawing. That makes me think that if the original smaller Surfaces were  edited, the cropped Surface would be updated. I haven't tried that yet.

No problem about hijacking. We're all talking about the same thing and trying to learn. Besides. In some circles EE's are notorious for hijacking threads. Smiley Very Happy

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 23 of 30
Neilw_05
in reply to: AllenJessup

I'm confused about the workflows being presented here. I thought the goal was to create a clipped DREF, not a new surface. Is that what the end result is?
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 24 of 30
AllenJessup

My goal was to create a Cropped Surface from a large Surface that had been created by pasting in Dreffed Surfaces. I now want to paste in a Surface created from field work.

While ending up with a Surface linked to the original Surfaces would be nice. In this case it was unnecessary because the Lidar data wont change. So even a static Surface is fine for my use.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 25 of 30
Neilw_05

Ahh, well then I totally misread your topic.

Sadly I'm still without a solution.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 26 of 30
AllenJessup

I tried it and got an edit to follow through all the iterations except to the cropped surface drawing. While this doesn't provide a dynamic link through the whole process. It would only require the recreation of the final cropped Surface to show an edit to an original surface.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous

And yet I don't long for the days of Alidades, Statia and Plane Table (1995)

Message 28 of 30
Neilw_05

As you have experienced, large datasets present a big challenge and the current point cloud technology is inadequate. I had hoped that a workaround would be to create a surface or a set of tiles from the raw data and store it. Then when we need to work on smaller areas of the site we could DREF the surface and clip it as needed. That clip boundary could be moved or expanded while working on a design or for exhibits, etc.

Thus a dynamic solution is needed.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 29 of 30
Neilw_05

I finally took the time to run a test and as the help file says, the cropped surface will update to changes to the source. The key to getting it to update is to first use the Rebuild Snapshot command on the cropped surface, then Rebuild.

Try it. It should work.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 30 of 30
Neilw_05

By the way, it is not necessary to use a DREF at all since the crop surface tool creates a new file or puts it in an existing file anyway.

So work from the file that has the live surface and apply the crop to it. The Crop won't effect the source surface at all, so you can skip the double processing with a DREF that Doni noted.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report