Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a profile from a series of points

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
archaeoman
2510 Views, 6 Replies

Create a profile from a series of points

Dear all,

I am new to Civil3D and I want to ask you the following:

I have collected points across a 500m distance with easting, northing and height values. This line of points is measuring a stepped slope of a field.

I want, if possible, to create a profile (something that looks like a slice of the slope, so that the steps and profile of the slope is clear.

Can this be achieved? Will you be able to guide me through the process?

Thank you for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: archaeoman

It will only be good as your data set. And you will need the station baseline to go with it

Home>> Profile>> profile from file.

check the required format

should be ASCII comma or space and looks like

station, eleavation

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
sboon

Normally Civil3d profiles are made from surface data, but it sounds like you just have a single line of points that you want to use.  It can be done but the process is a little different than normal.

Do you want the profile to go exactly from point to point, or do you want a straight line across the slope and then project the points onto that?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 7
Jay_B

Here's a Civil Intentions blog on creating a Profile from a linear set of points where you have no surface to sample.
http://civilintentions.blogspot.com/2012/08/creating-profile-from-single-line-of.html
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 7
archaeoman
in reply to: sboon

Thank you for your reply. I will like the profile to go from point to point.
Message 6 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jay_B

Thats cool but I'd skip the 3d transparent>> FL >> excel and go straight to alignment>> sta off >> excel

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
KirkNoonan

1. Create an alignment through your points.

2. Create a blank profile view, ensure that the profile view has elevations set to the range of your points.

3. Create a profile using the tangents tool from the profile creation tools tool bar.

4. Using the Profile Station and Elevation from COGO Point transparent command (see image), select the points to create the profile.

tool.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report