Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create a polyline from extents of points

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
aluko0719
2494 Views, 11 Replies

create a polyline from extents of points

is there a command to automatically draw a polyline around the outer limits of points. usually i manually draw a polyline around the points and then add that polyline to the surface as a outer boundary, but i have a huge survey.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
bryan
in reply to: aluko0719

If you have created a surface from your points you can use the SurfaceExtractObjects command to create a 3D poly from the boundary.

Message 3 of 12
vonfife

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same issue
Message 4 of 12
vonfife
in reply to: bryan

This doesn't work so well when their interior parts to the border.
Message 5 of 12
aluko0719
in reply to: vonfife

I have not

Sent from my iPhone
Message 6 of 12
vonfife

Thanks for the reply, it's not a big deal for my current project but would be nice if the method existed.
Message 7 of 12
Neilw_05

Does aecshrinkwrap work with COGO points? I don't remember. If not, maybe explode the points down to generic Autocad objects and try the aecshrinkwrap command on those.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 12
BrianHailey
in reply to: Neilw_05

I think the command is LINEWORKSHRINKWRAP (at least that's the only "shrinkwrap" type command I could find) and it doesn't seem to work on points.

As far as Civil 3D creating a polyline at the extents of the points, what's the extent?

In the following example, which polyline should Civil 3D use as the extents of the points?

Or something else all together?

Currently, Civil 3D doesn't do any of these automatically (I drew those all by hand) but, if you add the points to a surface, there are options available that will help you get a boundary that might be close to what you want.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 12
antoniovinci

Not tried by myself, but this sounds good, gentlemen...

Message 10 of 12
Pointdump

I hate to barge in and ask a stupid question, but since creating a Surface automatically creates an outer boundary, why do you want another boundary?

As @BrianHailey said:
"...if you add the points to a surface, there are options available that will help you get a boundary that might be close to what you want."

Choosing different Maximum Triangle Lengths removes "spiderwebbing" and tightens up the outer boundary.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 11 of 12
vonfife
in reply to: Pointdump

Tightening down the max triangle lengths like Pointdump and others pointed out worked good. Tried the shrinkwrap command out quickly on a point cloud but didnt have much luck. Thanks all for the input!
Message 12 of 12
Neilw_05
in reply to: BrianHailey

Lineworkshrinkwrap is the command. I think it was renamed sometime in the distant past. Too, as you noted, it does not work on points of any kind. Obviously I haven't used it. I just knew it was there. As a workaround I tried using a block consisting of a triangle as points and exploding them down to plain lines. The shrinkwrap command just creates polylines around each of the triangles instead of enveloping the entire cloud. So the shrinkwrap tool really isn't much use for this scenario, though I think it was originally created for this purpose.

So as Brian suggested, the best solution is to adjust the triangle parameters in the surface properties to get it close. Then extract the boundary and refine it from there. Or look into a custom tool per Antonio.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report