Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a Floodplain Boundary from a Surface

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
andy7918
2518 Views, 5 Replies

Create a Floodplain Boundary from a Surface

I want to create a boundary on an existing conditions drawing showing the location of the 100 and 500 year flooplains. I have elevations for both of the floods. Is there any way for autocad to create a polyline thats defined by elevation on a surface? I know i can snap to countour lines and figure it out that way, but it would be nice if i could have the program do it for me......

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jmayo-EE
in reply to: andy7918

If you have a TIN surface for the conditions that represent the flood plain elevations then yes you can do this with User Contours. Go to the surface's properties dialog, Information tab and assign or edit a surface style so it displayes thhe User Contours. Go to the Analysis tab, se;ect User COntours from the Analysis type drop down list. Enter 2 into the Range number and click the magic arrow button to populate the Range Details list. Assign the desired elevations to the two ranges that were created and close the dialog. THe two contours at the flood plain elevations will automatically be drawn.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
doni49
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Here's a screen shot to show you what John's talking about.  I'd also make sure to include descriptions for those contours.

UserContours.png

Also -- don't forget to make sure that User Contours is turned on in the Style Properties that your surface uses.

UserContoursStyle.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 6
annw2
in reply to: doni49

That will work for ponds or if the floodplain elevation doesn't change througout a project.  The HEC-RAS import export would be some help for our mountain streams.  See the posts in the Stormwater Forums.  I never had a project where I needed to try it so I don't know how well it works.

For Flatter areas, you would need to keep adjusting the elevation and extracting the contours, then clip them as you proceed up and down stream.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 5 of 6
Neilw_05
in reply to: annw2

One technique I've used is to create an alignment and profile of the thalweg. The profile will consist of the computed water surface elevations at your cross sections. Next generate a featureline from the alignment and profile and apply a grading that targets the EG at 0%. That will give you a flood boundary where the grading meets the EG.

I am assuming your floodplain is for a channel that you have modeled.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 6
fcernst
in reply to: Neilw_05

He needs to make sure he gets around all the natural islands and LOMA-F's.

Create a surface from the floodplain profile that is wider than any possible tie-in to EG. Then execute the command  _MinimumDistBetweenSurfaces.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report