Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a basic door and window

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rww09c
3405 Views, 11 Replies

Create a basic door and window

Hello,

Can someone please show me how to create a basic door and a window. I know it's easy, but I'm new to AutoCad. I'm taking a class, and I know that we use the W (Write Block) command and the I (Insert) command. I think that I have to know how to take the dimensions for a door and window and create them. I really need some help.

Thank You

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rww09c

Glad to see you are asking for help. Unfortunately you are in a DG that focuses on civil3d; a civil engineers earthwork tool.

Quickly: Get the detail of you door and window, create the geometry per spec, use your newly found wblock command and write it to your library (your arbitrary place to sore your blocks) Not in the wblock dialog you can pick an insert point : choose one that makes sence for snaping your windows and doors in place.

I suggest you connect to the Dynamic block DG HERE. Send Charles_Shade my regards.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 12
rww09c
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Mr. Bouza,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did connect and reply to the Dynamic Block DG, but because I don't have much time, I'm responding to your email. This is my 2nd week ever using AutoCad, so I need directions in baby-steps. If I'm understanding you, it seems that I should use the specifications and make the window/door. For example, one of the specifications is the window: 3' -0"*4'-0".

So, would I use the Line command and draw this out: 3' wide and 4' long, make a rectangle, Use the Wblock command select the newly made rectangle and save it. If this is correct, how would I use the insert command to insert it into the drawing?

Also, I know that we use the Snap to Midpoint and Snap to Perpendicular command to install, as well.

Thanks again

Message 4 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Yes I mean all the proper dimensions, as well as any materials, etc. The level of detail is entirely up to you, your company and your client

Snapping into place would be parameters that can be added via the dynamic block editor, and this is entirely subjective but can increase productivity to you liking.

Step by step is too much to attack in one DG thread. But I'll try to give you the readers digest version:

1:  enter the block editor (BE)

2. Draw your basic shape to the desired dimension. You can use any combination of lines. polylines, polygons, etc to what ever level of detail you are happy with.

3. Add a base point parameter to the most logical point on your part to be the insert point. Traditionally among acad users this is the lower left most portion of the part

4. Play with adding alignment and flip parameters to the block. These allow the part to auto align to the master drawing.

note dyno blocks like to be in what they call a container drawing. So name the block A and save to drawing B.

Most things in acad require you to scrape your knuckles and cry a little. This is a healthy path and you will benefit. And you will be able to formulate questions better. Charles_Shade is the man over at Dyno blocks.

Good luck

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 12
antoniovinci

Joe-Bouza wrote:

But I'll try to give you the readers digest version: 

Dear Joe,

you are too kind, while the proper answer should be the following one.

Mr.RWW09C,

you are in the wrong place, for two good reasons:

1] this is a Autocad Civil forum, not an architectural one

2] in a technical forum, you cannot learn using a software from basics: you'd better sign up for a regular Autocad course, with a real teacher.

Message 6 of 12

Also the OP could take a look at autodesks support pages here

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/linkedsumindex?siteID=123112&id=2387188&linkID=9240615

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 7 of 12
Pointdump

rww09C,

There is a wealth of YouTubes on the subject of AutoCAD. A good place to start is here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremytf77/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=1

Lots to learn! Get after it.

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 12
Pointdump
in reply to: Pointdump

rww09C,

Sorry, forum won't allow a YouTube link, nor editing a comment, so that link won't work.

Go to YouTube and do a search for "jeremytf77". He has wonderful videos on AutoCAD basics.

Good luck to you.

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 9 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: antoniovinci

Poor guy really wanted some help. I couldn't throw him out in the cold November wind Smiley Wink

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 12
Pointdump

Joe,

Thanks for being a good guy. As far as I'm concerned, if someone brings a question here about any Autodesk software, he's in the right place. Asking is a good way to start learning. I've been able to get over lots of stumbling blocks because of people like you in this forum that care enough to help a guy out.

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 11 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Pointdump

Thanks for the kind words, Dave.

Like you say: we all had the tentative anxiety over drawing our first line. It pays to give Smiley Wink

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 12 of 12
rww09c

Mr. Joe, Dave, and everybody else,

Thanks for the help. I was able to do the doors and windows, so some of you information definitely helped me. Currently, I'm attending a Miitary School for Engineering, and I have a test upcoming, this Tuesday. As a result, I am trying to get as proficient as I can, with AutoCad. Sometimes, it's hard for me to stay with the instructors, so I end up having to work extra hard to catch up to the class. I'll conitnue to try my best.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report