Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create 3d solid of concrete panels

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
coloeng
700 Views, 7 Replies

create 3d solid of concrete panels

All,

We are working on the record drawings for a project  and the client wants the concrete panels to be a 3d solid with object data attributes to import into GIS. The client sent me an example file which is attached (in 2013). I deleted most of the panels to reduce the file size.

The clients wants the concrete panels represented as a 3dsolid so the panels corners have different elevations.  If you change to view to shaded and hit orbit, you can see that the object has a depth to it.  We have 3d polylines from teh contractors survey data.

Does anyone know how to replicate the objects is in the attached drawing?

we have tried to create a 3d face, convtosurface, thicken. but this doesn't work for irregular panels.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: coloeng

Coloeng,

More info is probably needed. I got a couple of dialog boxes that I haven't run across and didn't know what to do with. When you say "concrete panels", do you mean slabs or is it a tilt-up building?

LDP.png

LDP2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 8
jkier

If the objects are closed polygons use the autocad extrude function to create the panel thickness.

Message 4 of 8
coloeng
in reply to: Pointdump

ignore the dialog boxes, one has to do with the coordinate system and the other is a standards file for the layering system from the client.

the objects asbuilt PCC concrete panels for airfield pavement.

Message 5 of 8
coloeng
in reply to: jkier

the objects are 3dpolylines. I believe the polygon will only allow the object to be at one elevation. I need each corner of the object to be at the asbuilt elevation.

Message 6 of 8
MikeEvansUK

You will not be able to create a 3d solid using the 3d polylines by extrusion etc.

Best method for this.

Assuming you have a IDS installed you should also have 3dStudio Max installed so use this instead as it is more powerful.

Export the AB 3d Polylines as autocad dwg.

Open Max and import the drawing.

Now create a 3d box inside the 3dpolylines and enter sub entity edit Face mode. Delete all existing faces then add new faces snapping onto the 3d polyline vertex points for all sides of the slab. Adjust/tweak face nodes if nessesary. Export as Acis Sat or DWG.

Back to Map/Civils. Generate object data table and contents. Import the Acis Sat file & Attach ODTable to object then fill in ODtable information.

Note: I'm not sure what use the solid will be? as far as I have found Map3d does not export 3d Solids to GIS formats, also the Map ODtable info does not pass to Navisworks on import or export navis or 3ddwf. Only 2d Dwf files.

Perhaps they are using annother product?

If this is for Bim then you'd be better off using Navisworks and adding the data to the object there as a new data table entry.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 8
coloeng
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

thanks for the solution. I only have Civil3d and not the addons. The only workaround I have found is to use the edgesurf command and then thicken. it rounds out the corners so its not an ideal solution.

Message 8 of 8
MikeEvansUK

You'll probably find a suitable free program to do the same thing online if you hunt around.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report