Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creat points by slope distance

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
matkain
791 Views, 13 Replies

Creat points by slope distance

I have a line at a constant grade. I need to create points along this line. The information given is in slope distance and these vary at times.

I've tried the point create methods and they all seem to calculate points at a horizontal distance. How do you enter the slope distance?

I know I can go back to basic Acad methods of divide, changing ucs so horizontal works etc.

Just wondering if it can be done in the create points commands?

Mat Kain

Kain Surveys

Australia

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: matkain

explore the points tool bar further; there is an interpolate option and various meand to divide a line

point01.png

point02.png

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
matkain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks Joe
I tried these, but these methods only allow me to enter a horizontal distance.
I want a point 3m slope distance along the line. By typing 3 when asked, the point ends at 3.053 slope distance along the line, 3m horizontal.
Is there a setting I'm missing?
Message 4 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Slope is defined by the ration of Horizontal distance to vertical so the hypotenuse will be slightly longer. Oh! I just re-read you thread title...

Can you explain a little more what you are trying to accomplish?

Slope distance what the heck is that? you can also measure or divide point along a line. yould have to hand cale the hypotenuse

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
matkain

Slope distance is the length of the hypotenuse.
I'm a surveyor setting out a conveyor in an underground mine. The grade is 5.3:1. The bolts I need to set out are generally 4m apart, though not constant, with a few at 2.5, and 4.0. This distance is along the grade, i.e. the slope distance, not a horizontal distance.

Message 6 of 14
Joe-Bouza

So then you need only measure along the line, no?

Sorry didn't mean to come off like I knew more about trigonometry than you.

measure.png

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
matkain

Thanks Joe
No offence taken there mate.
I'll have to practice that one. There's a bit involved in measure point and the 'help' menu doesn't seem to want to help.
All I want to do is place a point from one end, along a line at a known length along the line. The line has different z values.
Anyway, I better do some work and thanks for your help. I'll practice some more later.
Message 8 of 14
Joe-Bouza

I agree, help can often be nebulous. I'll see if there is more I can find for you tomorrow

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
Pointdump

Joe,

I just tested it myself. Create Points by Measure Object works on a regular flat line, but doesn't work on a 3DPolyline. So I see Mat's problem.

Create Points - Interpolate sounds promising, but I've never used any of those.

Mat, sorry I have nothing to suggest.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 10 of 14
sboon
in reply to: Pointdump

In the past I've used the Create Points by Slope/Distance command to do this, with my HP48 handy to convert slope distances to horizontal.  If you can convert the length of the conveyor and your bolt spacing then it might work.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Hi Dave

it should not be too difficult to convert the 3dpline to a feature line which will work

3dpoly.png

Alternately, (and there are many) add point to polyline verts and iterpolate between known points. you can get several of the point tool to do it. Ex: By grade and distance answer affirmative to add intermdediate and enter the distance. Same for interpolate.... 

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
Pointdump

Thanks Joe,

It never occured to me that converting the 3DPolyline to a Feature Line would make that work. I guess I need to start reading the command line more often. I tend to ignore it, to my disadvantage.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 13 of 14
Joe-Bouza

No worries. I commited the very sin quite often, myself

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
matkain

Thanks for the replies and the help.

In the end I  did it using the standard acad methods. I basically created a shorter line at a known slope distance along the design feature line,  then used the end points as the lengths to which to divide the line to create my survey points.

Mat

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report